Strange Otto Behavior, One Has A White Nose, Guppies Are Dying Question

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by JaneGael, Jul 8, 2019.

1. JaneGael

JaneGaelValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +38
    Experience:
    2 years
    I got 7 ottos 2 weeks ago from my LFS and split them into two tanks. The three in the 10g are acting normally and doing their job of eating all the algae. The four in the 29g are acting weird and I noticed that one has a white nose.

The ones in the 29g are all clustered in the front left corner and haven't moved from there. They go up and down the glass looking like they want to escape. I have not seen them integrate into the tank at all. I've been feeding them algae/shrimp wafters because I got worried about them eating. They are polishing off the wafers but are not eating the algae.

The one with the white nose looks healthy and as near as I can tell without trying to catch him is that it is pigmentation and not a fungus.

Now I have another HUGE problem with the tank the ottos are in as the guppies are dying. I've lost 6 out of 9 in 3 days. They look healthy and active with good appetites and then they are dead. Three weeks ago I got two new guppies from a source that has always been disease free and then two weeks ago put in the ottos. The other tank with the ottos is fine - no dying fish. (Thank God!)

I have no idea what's going on. The ottos have hugged the corner of the tank since they were put into it, long before the guppies started dying. Do they know something is wrong and want out? I have no other tank I can put them in at the moment. I might have to go out and buy a 5 or 10g for them and rip that tank apart.

At any rate, I don't know which direction to go at the moment and have my fingers crossed for my 3 surviving guppies.

Otto position in the tank: https://imgur.com/D8CnXrV
    Otto with white nose: https://imgur.com/rKtHO5y

2. Crimson_687

Crimson_687Well Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +310
    Fish will often try to escape water that is toxic. What are your water parameters? Did you use enough water conditioner? Is your tank new? Did you make any recent changes to your tank?

3. OP
    OP
    JaneGael

Ratings:
    +38
    Experience:
    2 years
    Water parameters are: Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0, Nitrate 10, pH 6.8

I use an Aqueon water changer and put in enough for the entire 29g tank, as per their instructions. I do about a 25% to 35% change.

The tank is relatively new, about two months old. I've had a brown algae problem, so I got the ottos. There are large pieces of driftwood in it that are from an old, well established tank. I used a and plants as well.

4. SaltyPhone

SaltyPhoneWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +359
    Experience:
    1 year
    Given how long the tank has been running; I’m curious to know what test kit/strips you are using? Ime nerite snails are amazing for eating diatoms/ brown algae.

5. OP
    OP
    JaneGael

Ratings:
    +38
    Experience:
    2 years
    The tank has been up for two months or so and I use the API pro test kit.

I did a big water change and the ottos are behaving normally now. However my last guppy died. I'll make a separate post on it.

6. SaltyPhone

SaltyPhoneWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +359
    Experience:
    1 year
    Sorry to hear about the guppies. I’ve had trouble with male guppies. Females seem to do fine in my water ~7-6.8 ph. The guppies born in my water do fine but store bought just don’t make it. Maybe try some crushed coral in the substrate if you decide to do more guppies.