Strange organisms that are not fish

Janmitch22

Valued Member
Reaction score
I was just messing around in my 55 and I saw these tiny, thin, long (maybe a quarter of an inch) squiggly things in the water. I happened to be looking at a certain part of the tank and there they were. I would have missed them otherwise. They were just wriggling away in the water. What in the world are they?

They don't look like planaria; they didn't stick to the glass, they looked like they were having a ball in free water.

This was just after a water change that I noticed this. I saw three, but there are probably more.  Maybe they came from my water hose...? I run my hose from the backyard through the house to fill my 55.

Marc

Well Known Member
Reaction score
It could have been planaria. Sometimes when they die or if there is alot of water movement they get pushed around in the water column.

MaryPa

Reaction score
Sounds like planaria to me. How do you regulate the water temp when filling the tank with your hose? Do you know the water added should be as close to the tank temp?

Janmitch22

Valued Member
Reaction score
Oh okay. I guess they come in all shapes and sizes...sick! lol

I found that simultaneously adding warmish water with the dechlor and stuff in it gets me to the right temperature.

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
A good gravel vacuum and your fish will clean them up. I have read in other places that they are always in our tanks, just not in numbers we can see. Maybe a little extra food dropped to the bottom and they multiplied. They are pretty harmless unless they multiply until they are unsightly and I know with your tank regimen thats not gonna happen.
Anyway your fish are probably chowing down on them and thinking you have provided them with live food.
Carol

Janmitch22

Valued Member
Reaction score
Planaria, cool. I was hoping they were. As far as creepy-crawlies go, I mean! Thanks for confirming, everyone.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom