Strange lumps on parrotfish

ceciliepaz

Reaction score
hello everyone, this is my first post, so please forgive me if I don’t sound quite as professional as the rest of you.
Recently I’ve noticed that my parrotfish has developed two strange lump/wounds on the sides of his head. He also seems to have small bits of dead skin (I think) flaking off of him; I don’t actually know if this is dead skin or not, but that’s the closest comparison I could find.
The one wound on the left side seems a little more irritated than the other, it has a reddish colour on the inside.
I’d like to know what is going on! He’s the biggest fish in the tank, so no worries from other fish attacking him, which leaves little in the way of what could’ve happened (if violence was involved).
The only reason I’m so worried is because we have had him for around 7 years, and I don’t recall anything like this happening to him before
085CE88B-055B-4905-8F0A-44F285F79E57.jpeg

I tried to take some photos, but as with most parrots, all he wanted to do was chase my finger and my phone!
The one on his other side is not so red, but possibly a little larger, and closer to his eye.
Any advice would be great

A201

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Looks like early stages of Hole in the Head Disease. The white stuff peeling off the sores is likely ooze, a common symptom of HITH.
Not really known what exactly causes HITH, but be a good idea the remove all activated carbon from the power filter, add a high vitamin food to the diet & buy a bottle of SeaChem's Metroplex.
Advanced age might have contributed to the situation. Hope things get better soon.

OP
C

ceciliepaz

Reaction score
A201 said:
Looks like early stages of Hole in the Head Disease. The white stuff peeling off the sores is likely ooze, a common symptom of HITH.
Not really known what exactly causes HITH, but be a good idea the remove all activated carbon from the power filter, add a high vitamin food to the diet & buy a bottle of SeaChem's Metroplex.
Advanced age might have contributed to the situation. Hope things get better soon.
Thanks for the reply, I did some research and apparently water quality can be a problem, so I’ve done a water change and will continue to do so a little more regularly than usual. There is no carbon in the filter, so no problems there; I’m going to add in some cucumber for him to munch on in the meantime as a treat for being so brave lol

A201

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Looks like you caught it early. Good chance for recovery. Btw, Welcome to Fish Lore.

OP
C

ceciliepaz

Reaction score
E7BB4614-40C5-47D5-A982-D8A8B4EBF201.jpeg

update: the one side of his head has healed nicely, but it seems as though there’s some nasty discharge or ... fungus ... on the other side - help !

A201

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
The discharge is just one of the symptoms of HITH disease. Continue doing what you're doing, hopefully the remaining hole will heal too.

New Threads