Strange Happenings

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by ZeeZ, Dec 18, 2012.

1. ZeeZ

ZeeZWell Known MemberMember

I bought four Black Harlequin Rasboras a week to two weeks ago for my nieces' tank. Last week, one had been acting strange and was keeping itself apart from the rest by hiding in the plants and even going after the other rasboras. It died that night.

Fast forward about three days later, I guess, and a second one died but everybody was acting fine. No odd behaviors were observed. I put it down to the usual fish death, which I had assumed since the LFS I got them from did not have a guarantee or a return policy for them.

Fast forward to today. This morning when I woke up, both of the rasboras that were left were schooling together and moving around like usual. Then when I was gone for a few hours, one of them died. I came back to this -

This happened in a matter of HOURS. What in the heck is going on? The Cardinals, Neons, baby Platy, Betta, and RCS are all unaffected.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 23, 2018
  2. CichlidnutFishlore VIPMember

Did you QT any of these fish when you bought them?

3. OP
    OP
    ZeeZ

Nope. I know I'm supposed to, but I don't have that many QT tanks to house three Neons, three Cardinals, four Rasboras, a betta, and the platy all separately.

4. Tigress Hill

Tigress HillWell Known MemberMember

Zee, it's Columnaris:( It spreads rapidly and kills within 48 hours, sometimes sooner.

Medicate with Kanaplex or Furan 2 AS SOON AS POSSIBLE. Gradually lower temp to 74 degrees; this bacteria thrives in warm water.

5. soltarianknight

soltarianknightFishlore VIPMember

Second the columnaris. Isolate any remaining fish, boil down/ammonia baths for equipment. Try to keep it from spreading to other tanks.

6. Tigress Hill

Tigress HillWell Known MemberMember

I've also heard that a hydrogen peroxide bath would instantly help, though I'm not certain of water/peroxide ratio.

7. soltarianknight

soltarianknightFishlore VIPMember

If you are putting equipment in peroxide then don't dilute it. Peroxide is not terribly stable and tends to break down real fast, dilutions in water don't stay potent for long. Plants will need a dilution though, keep the area dark when you use peroxide to slow the break down.

8. OP
    OP
    ZeeZ

Thanks. I've never had this happen to me before.

Looks like I'm going on a trip to the store tomorrow morning.

9. YeoyWell Known MemberMember

Bad luck with the tank. Hopefully your other stock don't get sick too.

10. OP
    OP
    ZeeZ

Well, the last Harlequin is gone. I've since started treatment and turned off the heater completely. Everyone seems okay for now.

I suspect that the columnaris came from the Harlequins since this tank was running with no problems for at least a week/two weeks before the Harlequins made their appearance. However, I found adult Assassin Snails from the same LFS that I bought the Harlequins from. I want to buy some but I don't know if they can carry columnaris or not. I'm wanting to put them in at least two other tanks.

Does anyone know if it's safe to put the Assassins in my other tanks or should I QT them instead? I usually don't bother QT-ing snails 'cause, well, they're snails.

11. YeoyWell Known MemberMember

I don't know if assassins cam carry it, but I wouldn't risk it. Fairly ordinary Christmas if it hits both your other tanks. Maybe QT or treat them?

12. JoannaBWell Known MemberMember

Looks like your present will need to be delayed, right? Shouldn't give the nieces a tank that still has Columnaris lingering in it. On the plus side, I found when I applied antibiotics that Columnaris went away as quickly as it had appeared, so I hope you will have the same experience in that respect as I did. Nasty stuff Columnaris. Before the antibiotics it managed to kill my favorite fish, but the antibiotics brought a few fish back from what I assumed was certain death judging by how poorly those fish looked. All the best!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice