strange guppy fry

1. Lexi03 Well Known Member Member

Hi everyone!
    Just a quick question, my female guppies have been droping fry in the past couple of weeks, we have four batches right now. The last one came from a new female we got a few days ago. The first few batches all look like normal guppy fry, clear little mini guppies. This last batch is shaped like guppy fry, although they where smaller then the others where at a few days old and they are solid black. Are they muppies? The female came from Petsmart, while there where no mollies in the tank when I bought her, I would not be suprised if there was at some point.

2. James95 Well Known Member Member

It's possible. I've had this happen before. I had dalmation muppy fry, they were adorable!

Unfortunately muppy fry are very fragile and don't always grow into
    adulthood.

I wish you luck with them!

3. RogueAgent94 Fishlore Legend Member

It is very possible that they are muppies. But, as James said, they usually die pretty quick after birth.

4. Lexi03 Well Known Member Member

I was just curious, I have never had colored guppy fry before,and I don't keep mollies, so I have never seen muppy fry. So far the fry seem ok, except they don't appear to be as smart as the other fry, there are plenty of hiding spots in the tank ( I keep survivors, no breders nets) tons of java moss, caves and other plants. The clear fry dart in and out of the hiding spots and stay low in the tank, the black ones stay smack dab in the middle of the tank, out in the open. I have seen the adult guppies chasing them around several times, but they won't hide. ( they are in the main tank now, momma guppy died after giving birth.)

5. RogueAgent94 Fishlore Legend Member

Interesting. It could be that the parents of the fry or the sire of the fry was dark so that the fry ended up dark. The female might have had a recessive dark gene so it is possible that the parents are both guppy but the babies ended up dark. I have seen dark babies before but not that often.

6. Dez The Betta Member Member

Hmm they could be muppies, and sorry about the momma guppy. I wish you luck with your fry!

7. Lexi03 Well Known Member Member

Well whatever they are, most of them are gone today. There were 15+ yesterday to day I only see 4.