Strange fish with ghost shrimp

1. soltarianknight Fishlore VIP Member

Ok, long story short i accidentally got a new fish with my ghost shrimp. The ghosts come from a feeder company so...yeah. I called up the store, they said they get these little guys every now and then, they have no idea what they are and they come from the same company. I cant get pics yet so heres a description.

Long 1-2" narrow slim bodied fish, much like a perch it has two large dorsal fins and the body is very clear and have some light banding. Its mouth is jutted up a little, its not a Cae or Sae or anything of the sorts.

2. RogueAgent94 Fishlore Legend Member

Sounds weird. Kinda like this?? Black-striped-minnow-in-tank.jpg

3. soltarianknight Fishlore VIP Member

Same body shape BUT give it 2 big dorsals, one boxed the other a triangle and some banding.

4. RogueAgent94 Fishlore Legend Member

Any color at all?

5. soltarianknight Fishlore VIP Member

Hardly, heres a pic, hes in QT, well sorta. Its a Big breeder box with a plastic bag around it in the 29gal.....yeah. Its still separate.
    I thought killi at first... But he seems to be a bottom fish, his pectorials are actually large as are his ventrals(???) He flare them when he swims up and down, but they are still colorless and thin.

[​IMG]

6. RogueAgent94 Fishlore Legend Member

Ah, that's much better! He looks to be a type of Goby.

7. soltarianknight Fishlore VIP Member

...hes really cute.....

8. RogueAgent94 Fishlore Legend Member

Lol. Okay I'm thinking he is either a Lagoon Goby or a Rhinogobius duospilus. Looks like he is pretty young yet. A picture from above so I can see is head would be great.

9. I keep fish Well Known Member Member

Im going to have to disagree on a goby for a couple of reason the second fin on top is not shaped like a goby and the head isnt shaped like a goby head.

10. soltarianknight Fishlore VIP Member

He looks A LOT like the second one mentioned, i just measured him,1.5 top shot was hard.

I have some open room in the 29, but that will depend on how big and compatibility. worse comes to worse, i keep him for 2 or so weeks and return him next time i hit the fish store or find him a home at school.
    [​IMG]

11. RogueAgent94 Fishlore Legend Member

Aha! I knew the top shot would help. I'm now thinking he is a Least Darter lol.

12. soltarianknight Fishlore VIP Member

Arnt those guys a little.....pudgy.

13. RogueAgent94 Fishlore Legend Member

14. soltarianknight Fishlore VIP Member

I like how you snuck into my house and took a picture of my fish to prove your right........ yeah, thats the fish. So, its REALLY cute.....can i keep it?
    I have a good flow in my 29, the temps 77....i also have a HUGE rock pile.

Also, What do you know about this plant
    [​IMG]

15. RogueAgent94 Fishlore Legend Member

LOL! Well I can't help it I had to go that far to show you that I was right hahaha. Lemme check my profile on them and then I'll tell you if it will do well in your tank.

Yep, that's a bacopa australis.

16. soltarianknight Fishlore VIP Member

Good, i like the plant, but i hear it likes high lighting, will have to move it to my 10gal(3 watts per gallon). I have some water sprite aswell, but it needs lower light i believe. Ill be feeding the darter frozen blood worms and brine shrimp.

17. I keep fish Well Known Member Member

That looks much better! LOL

18. RogueAgent94 Fishlore Legend Member

Okay. I looked at the profile I had on them. Says they are native to North America. They live in sluggish water with lots of aquatic plants. Male guards eggs after spawning. Each male has his own territory in spring-summer (when they spawn). I'm guessing they are temperate fish. Also it says they eat aquatic invertebrates like mosquito larva.

19. soltarianknight Fishlore VIP Member

So, yes, i can buffer the filter a little, though my DG swims fine in it and he hates current. Mosquito larvae are similar to midge larvae which are blood worms if im not mistaken, i can also see if i cant buy some bbs every now and then.

20. RogueAgent94 Fishlore Legend Member

You don't particularly need to buffer the filer. The darter is also found in streams so I'm sure yours will find a nice quite spot. They don't usually swim in the open. Are you going to keep it? Personally I'd try to set up a tank for the darter and get a couple more because they are temperate fish and really shouldn't be kept with tropical fish.