Strange Disease On New Bristlenose Important

1. Nate Russell Initiate Member

I recently added a bristlenose pleco to my tank about 3 days ago and she has done a great job cleaning the place up. But today I see this bizarre yellow growth on her back! Is it fungal? Bacterial? Parasitical? Please help as the only other time I've seen someone have this issue the response was "I don't know what that is."

Thank you!

Attached Files:

2. Ohio Mark Well Known Member Member

I'm sorry I don't have the answer, but I wanted to extend a "welcome."

3. 2211Nighthawk Well Known Member Member

Can you get a close up/better picture by chance? Also, what size tank, tank mates, and water parameters.
    (Just to get you started so that someone smarter then me can awnser. :D)

4. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

Looks fungal to me. What else do you have in the tank?

As a side note, you should also be feeding your pleco veggies and some protein, and not making him rely on "cleaning" the tank to get food.

5. Nate Russell Initiate Member

Unfortunately, this is the best I can get. Our phones don't have the best quality :/
    I'm out of test strips, I'll have some tonight for more tests but I do know:
    50% Water change yesterday
    Tank Size: 29g, medium planted.
    Tankmates:
    1 Cory
    3 Guppies (Male)
    4 Platy (Female)
    1 Boesmati Rainbow (Female)
    7 Tetras
    2 Rasboras
    1 Gold Panda Lyretail Molly (Female)

Pleco is getting cucumber, the cory is getting bottom pellets, and the rest are getting Omega One Tropical flakes.

Attached Files:

6. Nate Russell Initiate Member

That is my best idea as well. API Fungal treatment maybe?

Pleco is also getting cucumber.

7. Nate Russell Initiate Member

Unfortunately, this is the best I can get. Our phones don't have the best quality :/
    I'm out of test strips, I'll have some tonight for more tests but I do know:
    50% Water change yesterday
    Tank Size: 29g, medium planted.
    Tankmates:
    1 Cory
    3 Guppies (Male)
    4 Platy (Female)
    1 Boesmati Rainbow (Female)
    7 Tetras
    2 Rasboras
    1 Gold Panda Lyretail Molly (Female)

Pleco is getting cucumber, the cory is getting bottom pellets, and the rest are getting Omega One Tropical flakes.

Attached Files:

8. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

You have some stocking issues, if you'd like to discuss it.

Fungal infections are often secondary to bacterial infections. You can try something like General Cure to broadly treat, or an antifungal and then an antibacterial if the antifungal doesn't treat it.

Do you have a quarantine tank you can treat him in, so you don't have to treat the whole tank?

9. Nate Russell Initiate Member

Sure! What do you mean by stocking? As in bad matchups?

I'm leaning towards anti-fungal.

Yes I have a quarantine tank, but is there a chance the whole tank may need it anyway?

10. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

I would move the fish over and treat it in the quarantine tank. Fungal infections are usually opportunistic, and won't affect healthy fish.

For stocking issues, yes, incompatible fish in incompatible combinations.

Cories should be in groups of their own species (ideally 6+). Boesemani rainbowfish should be in groups of their own species (ideally 6+), but they are too large for this tank size. I'd rehome her. Rasboras should be in groups of their own species (ideally 6+).

What species of tetra and rasbora do you have?

11. Nate Russell Initiate Member

We were advised to get multiple corys for schooling, and we attempted to do so, but PetSmart corys tend to be extra fragile.

Glow light tetras and I don't remember the rasboras. They're common though.

I'll try medicating the pleco with antifungal meds in the sick tank.

12. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

Add more cories and more rasboras when you can then, though I'd rehome the Boesemani for sure.

Fingers crossed for the pleco!

13. Nate Russell Initiate Member

Thanks :) should I wait to add more immediately or wait a bit to reduce risk of infection?

14. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

I'd remove the BN as soon as possible and start treating. After you remove him, I'd wait a week or so before adding them. You'll want to keep the BN in the QT tank (with driftwood since they rasp on driftwood) until he's better.

15. Nate Russell Initiate Member

Best place to get driftwood?

16. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

Either an LFS, general pet store, online, or even outside if you're in an area with suitable species of trees with dead branches away from pesticides.

17. Nate Russell Initiate Member

Thanks once again!