Strange Disease Effecting Neon Tetras

1. toddgcole Initiate Member

Hello,

I have a strange disease effecting a school of nine (9) neon tetras in a well-planted tank (CO2 + CF lighting). Tank mates are the usual soft-water suspects (angels, gouramis, corys, etc.) About six weeks ago, a small flesh-coloured nodule appeared on the mouth of one of the neons. It is difficult to tell, even post-mortem, whether the nodule begins in the stomach and comes out through the mouth or if it is localized to the mouth. Over a two week period, this nodule grew in size until it forced the neon's mouth open giving it a "zombie like" appearance (mouth always open). Shortly after, it jumped out of the tank. This same condition has now afflicted two other fish.

I do not think it is a fungus or a parasite. In the case of each fish, the nodule appeared in almost the exact same location on the mouth. I would suspect some kind of worm, but it is strange there is only one nodule that appears on the fish's body and it is always out of the mouth. I also find the color (sort of a light-tan or flesh-coloured) strange...it's not the usual white color you would normally see with most fish diseases. Finally, although the disease is certainly fatal it doesn't appear to be that infectious, almost like it targets one fish at a time and it takes several weeks for that fish to die. I have been keeping fish for forty years and this, really, seems like a strange illness.

Anyone have any ideas what this might be and, better yet, how to kill it?

Thanks,
    Todd

2. Sarah73 Fishlore VIP Member

Can we see a pic please?

3. toddgcole Initiate Member

Here is a shot from the front...as you can see, it almost looks like a worm with a parasol hanging out of the neon's mouth.

View attachment IMG_0833.JPG

4. toddgcole Initiate Member

Here is another photo...sorry, this one not as clear as the first and for some reason they are getting rotated.

View attachment IMG_0831.JPG

5. toddgcole Initiate Member

6. DoubleDutch Fishlore VIP Member

Having seen this on lots of neons I personally think it is a viral infection (like DGD and Lymphocystis).
    Treatment seems to be impossible is my experience.