Strange Death Important

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by MegaFish1117, Apr 10, 2018.

1. MegaFish1117

MegaFish1117 Valued Member Member

After doing my weekly waterchange, I noticed that one of my green tiger barbs was swimming strangely. Roughly 10 minutes later, she is floating around the tank on her side while the other fish take bites out of her. She has since moved on (R.I.P., she was so pretty), and I'm wondering what stupid mistake I made this time

pH: unchanged at 8.2-8.4
    Ammonia: 0-0.25 ppm
    Nitrite: 0 ppm
    Nitrate: 10 ppm
    Other fish are behaving normally, Java fern seems to be doing fine

The high nitrates makes me think that killed her, I only wonder how high it was before I did the water change...

Last edited: Apr 10, 2018
  2. Jenoli42

Jenoli42 Well Known Member Member

i'm sorry for your loss. you can figure out how it nitrates were simply by figuring out what volume of water you changed. assuming you have 0 nitrate in your tap water source, if you changed out 50% of your tank volume, your nitrates were 20ppm. that's not really high enough to harm fish.

did you condition (dechlorinate) your water before adding? did you temperature match? did you double check pH of tank versus pH of source water? did you use prime for the trace amount of ammonia?

personally, i bury any fishes who pass in my garden. the veggies grow amazingly. please don't flush - that's bad for the water supply and environment.

3. OP
    OP
    MegaFish1117

No I didn't dechlorinate, but I remember being told that my water supply is not chlorinated.... I could easily be wrong, so there's possibility #1.
    Temperature didn't matched exactly but was close (a few degrees difference, but maybe because it was so fast it was bad for the fish)
    pH of the tank water has remain unchanged, so I doubt it was that....
    No, I did not use prime
    My theory is that she was weakened by something that happened during the WC and that made her vulnerable to attack from the other fishes, namely the kribensis which seemed to think she was quite the delicacy.
    I put the body into a plastic bag and threw her out. I don't think my mom would appreciate me digging holes in her garden

4. Jenoli42

Jenoli42 Well Known Member Member

if none of your other fishes are looking bad, then you probably don't have chlorine in your water. having said that, i always condition new water with prime just in case there's trace amounts of ammonia, nitrite or chlorine (we're on rainwater, so it's only the 1st two that are possible).

i do suggest that you should temperature match within 1-2* (if you're using F, you have a bit more room. we use Celsius, so we need to keep ours within 1* because it's a bigger change in the C scale).

if you can't temperature match closely, then just add the water back slowly.

it sounds like your barb could have been in shock from the water change and then your Krib decided to take that opportunity for an easy meal. eg, maybe the krib injured the barb's fin and made swimming difficult to wound it... kribs can be very aggressive.

alternatively, if you had these barbs in when cycling, perhaps your barb actually got swim bladder or something similar from the cycle and then simply couldn't handle the water change?

5. OP
    OP
    MegaFish1117

I got the barbs after I was sure the tank had cycled, so I doubt it was from that. The ammonia presence suggests that there might be some sort of mini-cycle going on, which may have had a part to play

6. Guythatownsfish

Guythatownsfish Valued Member Member

Nitrate will almost never be deadly except when they have been over 40ppm for a long time

7. bitseriously

bitseriously Well Known Member Member

I read on a long ago post about a fish that sustained a serious injury from being caught in the cascading new incoming water, and rammed into a rock. Maybe your poor fish took a physical injury, or got stunned by pH or temp change if it sat in incoming water too long, then other fish took advantage.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice