strange crypts

atmmachine816

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I went away for a week and when I came back all the leaves on my oldes crpt were dieing yet the baby plant it sent off it's fine, any idea to what caused this.

Dino

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Not sure.
Clip off all the dieing leaves and the plant may produce new leave from it's base.

Dino

atmmachine816

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Yup that's what I did but should I cut the major root leading to the baby plant or should I leave it. So far the big plant hasn't had any new growth.

inari

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
leave it alone for now and see what happens worse case the main root died and the baby can draw nutrients off the older one just a thought tho i'd be afraid to kill it if I cut the main root doo what u think is right

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Sometimes Crypts "melt" but will come back from the roots. Take all the old dead,dying leaves out and just leave it alone for at least a month.

inari

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
isn't melting tho what usually from when u transplant them from one tank to another??

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
The Cryptocoryne species are often afflicted by what appears to be a sort of "melt". It is referred to as "Crypt Rot" or "Crypt Disease". But in reality it is rather from a shock of being transferred to a different tank, than being any "disease". Cryptocorynes very are sensitive to changes in their environment, such as transferring them to a new tank, changes in pH, etc ... The leaves may melt or rot away at first, but don't throw out the plant - it will re-grow with time. Once it settles in, it will be fine. Only keep cutting off any dying and decaying leaves.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom