Strange Cottony Stuff

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by poefox, Apr 13, 2006.

1. poefoxWell Known MemberMember

My betta has a couple of little bits of cottony looking stuff on his fins. It's actually hard to see, I only noticed it because I was looking really closely at him. His behavior has not been really unusual. What could this be? I'm worried that it is a fungus, and if so can any betta owners recommend what they've done in similar circumstances?

2. GunnieWell Known MemberMember

It sounds like fungus or columnaris. If he is still eating, you have caught it early. Start medicating with maracyn I and maracyn II in a hospital tank if you have one unless your betta is the only fish in the tank. The maracyn will probably kill off all your good bacteria, so just be ready for that. There are also some betta medications you might be able to use, but I am not familiar with them. Chickadee or someone else with more betta experience might be able to give you more information.

3. poefoxWell Known MemberMember

Actually it's gone. Is that good?

4. chickadeeFishlore VIPMember

Well, that seems to be going around. Noel has a cotton mouth fungus right now. I am giving him medication because he has it in his mouth as well as on his outer mouth. I wouldn't count on the disease being gone. It can simply internalize. I am using Aquarium Pharmaceuticals, Inc. Triple Sulfa capsules (1 per 5 gallons) but there is another medication just as effective - Aquarium Pharmaceuticals, Inc. E.M. Tablets (1 tablet per 10 gallons) Neither of these do anything to disturb the bacteria on the filter so they can be used in the tank. I am medicating the whole tank as he is so sick and I don't want a bad outbreak. You can put him in a quarantine tank and medicate or medicate the tank but even if you chose not to medicate the tank, it should have the temp raised and be vacuumed very well as this particular outbreak thrives in tanks with a lot of organic material. I am considering the wisdom of using only the bacterial gravel cleaner. I believe they have their purpose in keeping the deep gravel clean but do not replace regular and frequent vacuuming.

Rose
    :)

5. poefoxWell Known MemberMember

Hm. It really is gone though. I have examined him several times, there's no sign of it, his behavior is fine, he's eating well. I'm wary of giving him medication if he's not sick.

6. ButterflyModeratorModerator Member

Could he maybe have had a piece of molded food stuck to his mouth? Would be a good idea to vacuum the tank and do a good water change even if you choose not to medicate.
    Carol

7. poefoxWell Known MemberMember

It wasn't near his mouth...I'm wondering if it was just some kind of secretion or whatever. Anyway, I'm vacuuming the tank tomorrow afternoon so I'll nip that in the bud as well. Thanks for the advice everyone.

8. poefoxWell Known MemberMember

Sigh. It all went bad. It must have internalized as you said, Rose, but I had tried the vacuuming and temperature as you suggested and now desperately wish I'd used the medication when I'd first noticed it. The only thing I could say is that it really did seem to be gone. It came back with such a vengeance that I was horrified, and took Heckle and Jeckle with it. Now Darth is suffering though it has gone down some...I'm still rather worried. I did medicate him and that seems to have had an effect. I feel very bad about this actually.

9. chickadeeFishlore VIPMember

You mentioned in another post you didn't know about removing the carbon. I wouldn't worry too much about it as long as you have raised the temperature to 85 and done the water changes and vacuuming. Just start the med. treatment with the carbon gone now and hopefully it is going to help him more. Poor Heckle and Jeckle - I am so sorry, but there is sometimes no way of telling until it is too late. I am one of the most panicky mommies so sometimes I medicate as a rule of thumb and that can be wrong too. But generally with white spots anywhere anyhow it is best to be on the safe side.

I am so sorry about your fish, you have my deepest sympathies. I will keep Darth in my thoughts and hopes. Do keep us informed of his progress. :( :'(

Rose
    :'(

10. poefoxWell Known MemberMember

It seems to be going down. I almost wept at the sight of him nestling in the duckweed because I'm so hoping that he'll be getting better. I'm not seeing the horrible stuff to the same extent, though after what happened last week I'm wary. Anyway, he fed for the first time in a couple of days, so I'm hoping this means recovery. Thanks very much Rose, I hope it works too.

11. GunnieWell Known MemberMember

Eating is a good sign. If you can find some locally, get him som medicated food. You can also get it online. Hope he continues to get better!

12. chickadeeFishlore VIPMember

I am so glad he ate for you. Is he coming and hand feeding or just catching it out of the water? If he will hand feed it will be easier to feed him the medicated food if you can find it. If you cannot get it just keep on with what you are doing. It seems to be helping some if he will eat. If he shows any signs of constipation after not having eaten for a few days you can try a tiny piece of pea, but I do not know if he is quite ready for much yet.

Take care Little Darth.

Rose
    :)

13. poefoxWell Known MemberMember

Sigh. He's still got some of that stuff on him. And unfortunately I picked by pure bad luck a piece of his food for him that was too big for his mouth, and now he's sulking or something and refusing to take food from me. He's spending a lot of time hanging around the surface and still has patches of the stuff on him. How long will this take for it to go down, does anyone have any idea?

When I feed him I put the food in the water right near his mouth. If the filter current pulls it away he will almost never chase after it, instead he waits for me to put something down again. This means I usually have to retrieve it myself since at the moment I have no bottom feeders to tidy it up.

14. chickadeeFishlore VIPMember

What medication are you using and what is the temp of your tank staying at? I know that this may sound like I am harping but it will help me make suggestions, I promise. There are a lot of medications and maybe he is just not on the right one at this time or maybe we are dealing with a superinfection of some kind. Let me know, please.

Rose
    :(

15. poefoxWell Known MemberMember

I was using Maracyn and the temp was at about 85. However I might be having a heater problem too because it doesn't SEEM warmer than it was before. I have to admit I just trusted the readings. But maybe it's too marginal a difference, I dunno. Anyway, Darth has died.

16. chickadeeFishlore VIPMember

I am so sorry. The loss of a friend is terrible. You have my deepest sympathies, my friend. :'( I will miss Darth.

Rose
    :'(

17. poefoxWell Known MemberMember

Thanks for the sympathy. I'll miss the little guy too.

18. ButterflyModeratorModerator Member

I am so sorry you lost your fish!!! Like Rose said its so hard to lose one, we get so attached.
    Carol

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice