Strange Corydoras Behavior

Kass472

In my 36 gallon tank I have 3 three spot gouramis and 2 Bronze Corydoras. I had an albino cory but it died the next day after I brought it from the pet store. I replaced it with another cory. This one was white but had no red eyes and a slite bit of gray on its sides. I assume this was just a strangly colored bronze cory because it schooled with them and had no red eyes like an albino. My 2 other corys have survived it and have been seeming heal until now. One of my bronze I am not worried about because he will stay in his cave until the other wants to play or it’s feeding time. But, my other cory will go to the same spot (around the heater, and filter) and just swim in place. He can move because after a while when he gets bored he will dart off. Is this normal cory behavior? I have read that it’s because the gravel is to sharp but my gravel is smooth. Please help. (in the photos it’s the darker cory with strange behavior)

Attachments

• 313A0437-FE3C-4526-9E9E-863F3DD7FB00.jpeg
    313A0437-FE3C-4526-9E9E-863F3DD7FB00.jpeg
    147.6 KB · Views: 45
  • 6F9A5ADB-09B5-4879-98FC-AC28A659259B.jpeg
    6F9A5ADB-09B5-4879-98FC-AC28A659259B.jpeg
    122.7 KB · Views: 46
  • E9E5C572-7D89-4D90-9153-546084DEF141.jpeg
    E9E5C572-7D89-4D90-9153-546084DEF141.jpeg
    129.4 KB · Views: 47
  • 15052D05-529A-4F4C-B598-620D502CD9FE.jpeg
    15052D05-529A-4F4C-B598-620D502CD9FE.jpeg
    118.7 KB · Views: 47
  • F40C233A-95E7-4F50-A0B2-719CFBF2F171.jpeg
    F40C233A-95E7-4F50-A0B2-719CFBF2F171.jpeg
    88.9 KB · Views: 44
  • BE09CD53-5EF2-4767-8E2D-1D4DBEB0AF49.jpeg
    BE09CD53-5EF2-4767-8E2D-1D4DBEB0AF49.jpeg
    136 KB · Views: 46

awilkinson871

They don't appear to be the same type to me. A couple things about corys- they do better in groups of 6 of the same type, they like caves and large plants to hide under when they get nervous, and they do not eat algae wafer pellets. Only 2 does not make them comfortable and they do not have a lot of hiding places in the picture. Also in one picture I see a pellet but cannot tell what type it is. Corys are meat eaters so make sure you are feeding sinking catfish pellets with bloodworms or brine shrimp as an occasional treat. They do like to dig in substrate and they cannot in the size gravel you have.

Upvote 0

Kass472

I feed them algae wafers and salmon Omega One pellet. Since that picture was taken the liter one has become more similar to the darker one in color. They school and play together. When I drop food in they will push over pieces of gravel and find the pellets.

Upvote 0

Strider1520

I have 5 peppered cories and one or two will do the same thing-just lay there for a time and then swim off. I think they are just resting. I have one that likes to lay partially on it’s side ( I used to tap on tank to make sure it was alive and usually just got a Cory “wink”). Even had someone tell me once they thought I had a dead fish…..then the next minute they are swimming in sync dancing in the filter currents along the glass. They are full of personalities. But mine do occasionally lay in one spot - mainly in my plants. It’s like they take a rest before dancing off again.

Upvote 0

DoubleDutch

Sorry to say but both corys are starving.
Skip the algaewafers (they're not algaeeaters and don't get the right minerals / protein and minerals.
The substrate really is an issue as well for several reasons. And then get more.of these social fish.

Upvote 0

Kass472

I’m thinking about getting 6 Corydoras. I don’t understand what you mean about algae wafers, they eat them just fine. I have heard that I should give them a sandbox to play in. Is that okay?

Upvote 0

Coradee

Hi, yes they will eat the algae wafers if there’s nothing else on offer however they get little to no nutrition from them. I’d suggest getting a good catfish pellet suitable for corys more carnivorous side, or a Shrimp pellet, also if you can get them frozen foods such as bloodworms, daphnia, brine shrimp etc.
The substrate may be an issue as the grains are rather large & food may be dropping down to where the corys can’t get it, they would appreciate a sand area if you have the room to do one.

Upvote 0

Kass472

My LFS sells brine shrimp and blood worms. I will try those. Should I put plants around the sand area so the can hide in there?

Upvote 0

Coradee

Plants would be good though if you already have planted areas it’s not a necessity.

Edit: just looked at your pics & yes more plants would definitely be a good idea :)

Upvote 0

Kass472

One of them chooses to lay in the front between 2 of the plants. They like plants. I think I will get some more. My Java Fern is producing spores and mini ferns are growing. Any tips on how to deal with the mini ferns? Will they fall of on their own? Or will I need to plant them?

Upvote 0

Katie Dawn

My Java Fern is producing spores and mini ferns are growing. Any tips on how to deal with the mini ferns? Will they fall of on their own? Or will I need to plant them?

Java ferns produce babies (called plantlets) when they are in distress. Are you using any fertilizer in the water for the plants?

I will say that I only have anubias and java fern, as they are supposedly two of the easiest plants to keep. That said, my anubias have always done GREAT, but some of my java ferns throw out plantlets pretty regularly. I thought there might be something I was missing, but I'm realizing this problem is somewhat common. So I would definitely recommend using a weekly fertilizer for your plants if you aren't already (I use Easy Green from Aquarium Co-op). But if you're already doing that and can't seem to find any other problem there might not be anything else you need to do. I just remove the little plantlets and if I keep seeing them on the same leaf I will sometimes remove the leaf entirely as it seems to be struggling. You could let them grow, but java ferns grow really slowly so it's going to be a really long time before they'll be a usable size.
Hope that helps!

Upvote 0

Kass472

Okay. Thanks!

Upvote 0

awilkinson871

One of them chooses to lay in the front between 2 of the plants. They like plants. I think I will get some more. My Java Fern is producing spores and mini ferns are growing. Any tips on how to deal with the mini ferns? Will they fall of on their own? Or will I need to plant them?
Another thing about java fern is they do not like the roots planted. They prefer the roots to be glued or tied to something so they can absorb nutrients from the water.

Upvote 0

Kass472

Another thing about java fern is they do not like the roots planted. They prefer the roots to be glued or tied to something so they can absorb nutrients from the water.
Okay! When the plantlets fall off I will attach them to the driftwood.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
DoubleDutch
Replies
Views
FishDin
Replies
Views
MacZ
  • Question