Strange Cory behaviour!!

Fishgurl12

HI everyone I'm very worried about one of my corridors. He was swimming around really fast and then floating down on his back at first. You didn't seem normal but has just started swimming up to the surface to get staying much longer than normal. He then floated down as if he's lost energy and landed on a leaf where he is been for the last five minutes. My ammonia is 0, nitrite 0, nitrate 40-80 (due to recharge my Nitrazorb - have high nitrates in my tapwater). Could it be the nitrates that are causing this behaviour? The other thing is that the temperature is a bit warm as you've had a really hot day, 27 C. All others are behaving normally but could this be the problem? Have just done a 30% water change. Please help!

Jim

27C translates to about 80.5 F which is not bad. I would like it a few degrees lower but I do not think that is the problem unless you went from one extreme temp to another. Water parameters seem OK except a little high on the nitrates. If cories can't get enough oxygen through the water column they will come and stay on the surface but not float on their backs. Maybe just a sick fish? ......but from your description it seems like something set the little guy off.

Fishgurl12

27C translates to about 80.5 F which is not bad. I would like it a few degrees lower but I do not think that is the problem unless you went from one extreme temp to another. Water parameters seem OK except a little high on the nitrates. If cories can't get enough oxygen through the water column they will come and stay on the surface but not float on their backs. Maybe just a sick fish? ......but from your description it seems like something set the little guy off.

Thank you JI'm I am keeping an eye on him. This morning he swam to the top and then came down on his side briefly. After feeding he was eating but just staying in one place whereas the others normally comb the surface travelling across the tank floor. He isn't really hanging with the others. Going to clean the filter today after work. Hope he's ok while I'm gone.

I took some pics. If anyone sees anything please let me know. Light isn't on so hope you can see ok!

ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1462777409.751761.jpg

ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1462777474.989800.jpg

ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1462777490.274897.jpg

ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1462777519.877454.jpg

Coradee I understand you're one of the Cory experts here. If you have anything to add I would be very greatful. Thanks!

Coradee

hard to see from the pics but nothing jumps out at me, no clamped fins or redness & he looks well fed.
I'd just keep the water pristine & keep an eye on him

DoubleDutch

Is there a good waterflow in the tank. Could be an oxygen-issue if not with this temp !! Trilineatus likes it a bit cooler, will survive this temp but a good waterflow / gasexchange is important.
Doesn't look bad btw !

Fishgurl12

Ok that's good news! Thanks Coradee and DoubleDutch! As of yesterday eve he was much better - schooling with the others, eating normally, swimming normally. After I cleaned my filter there was much better flow through it and I position the outlet so it disturbs the water surface. Also recharged the Nitrazorb. Temp is 26 again too. Would you recommend an air stone? I have one but reluctant to put it in as I have heard of some fish reacting badly...

DoubleDutch

Ok that's good news! Thanks Coradee and DoubleDutch! As of yesterday eve he was much better - schooling with the others, eating normally, swimming normally. After I cleaned my filter there was much better flow through it and I position the outlet so it disturbs the water surface. Also recharged the Nitrazorb. Temp is 26 again too. Would you recommend an air stone? I have one but reluctant to put it in as I have heard of some fish reacting badly...

An airstone is always a good idea in times when the water is warm (less oxygen) or when using meds for instance. Gasexchange will be better for sure !

Fishgurl12

An airstone is always a good idea in times when the water is warm (less oxygen) or when using meds for instance. Gasexchange will be better for sure !

Ok great! I will definitely get that sorted as our summer has definitely started! Thanks!

DoubleDutch

Perfect. One other thing (to be sure) : never clean your filter too much !!!

Fishgurl12

URGENT UPDATE!!
Unfortunately more worrying behaviour. Assuming it's the same Cory but difficult to tell - I think it is. He was swimming/floating as if in a daze the landed like this

Also just saw one of my guppies flash briefly. Not sure if it's related as I know this can be normal..any thoughts? DoubleDutch Coradee ?

DoubleDutch

Grrrr that's really not right. Think there isn't much you can do and it is on its way out (sorry).

Fishgurl12

Grrrr that's really not right. Think there isn't much you can do and it is on its way out (sorry).

Oh dear! I will try to prepare myself...I just did my water params and they are 0 ammonia, 0 nitrate and ~30 nitrates so who knows what's going on! Will do another small water change and gravel vac tonight just in case. Thanks for your input though.

DoubleDutch

Sorry I can't really help !

Coradee

That's definitely not right, almost looks like it could be a neurological problem.
I'd have to agree with DoubleDutch that sometimes there's nothing you can do unfortunately.

Fishgurl12

That's definitely not right, almost looks like it could be a neurological problem.
I'd have to agree with DoubleDutch that sometimes there's nothing you can do unfortunately.

Thank you. I just appreciate you all helping me to do everything I can! Let's hope he either gets better soon or goes on to a better place

Jim

Not right but unlike humans we can not diagnose exactly what is wrong with fish. All the others seem healthy, water looks good. Leave him where he is in his home and let nature take its course.

gumshoe

One of my Corys has this strange posturing habit. Everything seems to be fine other than him looking like he's pretending to be a plane ready to take off down a runway. My aquarium parameters are not the best as I believe I have suffered a cycle crash. ( 0, .50, 20. pH 7.8 Temp 78F). I have been doing 25% WC every two days to keep the levels down. I'm not quite sure if this is normal behavior or not. He's eating fine, swimming fine, and exploring. He's fed minI algae wafers and grazes the bits of leftover flakes and bugbites leftover from my 4 guppies. I did lose another Cory a while ago but he did not exhibit this symptom. Perhaps he's taken up yoga and practicing his bhujanga technique?? I'll attach the s.

Attachments

• IMG_3578.JPG
    IMG_3578.JPG
    85.7 KB · Views: 111
  • IMG_3580.JPG
    IMG_3580.JPG
    73.1 KB · Views: 98

AWheeler

I'd guess that he is stressed. I'd change a large portion of water (50%) and add some prime, keep an eye on the perimeters, keep changing water as needed.

gumshoe

Okay. Prime was added today after the last WC. I’ll do a 50% next time.

DoubleDutch

Corys aren't algae-eaters !!! they're 99% carnivorious.

Pics don't show

gumshoe

Corys aren't algae-eaters !!! they're 99% carnivorious.

Pics don't show

Fishlore is having problems with content at the moment. The s show up for me. As for the feeding, the wafers are high in protein and vegetable matter and are made specifically for bottom dwellers. As I’ve mentioned, he also feeds on the bugbites and flakes that sink to the bottom daily.

DoubleDutch

Fishlore is having problems with content at the moment. The s show up for me. As for the feeding, the wafers are high in protein and vegetable matter and are made specifically for bottom dwellers. As I’ve mentioned, he also feeds on the bugbites and flakes that sink to the bottom daily.
Bottomdwellers come in herbivorious, carnivorious and omnivorious species.
So specifically for bottomdwellers doesn't tell anything. Protein also comes in different kinds !! Lot of corydoras get healthproblems when fed algaewafers as staplefood.

gumshoe

Bottomdwellers come in herbivorious, carnivorious and omnivorious species.
So specifically for bottomdwellers doesn't tell anything. Protein also comes in different kinds !! Lot of corydoras get healthproblems when fed algaewafers as staplefood.

I have API bottom feeder shrimp pellets but the Corys never took interest in them. They just decay on the sand. I’ll have a look for something else.

Hego_Damask

Is that postering a sure sign of stress ?

I’ve seen mine do that before but I thought they were just either being weird or it was normal

Ulu

My fish don't seem to care for API Foods as much as some others.

My Corys eat Wardley sinking shrimp pallets and Tetra catfish and Loach wafers.

They also get Frozen bloodworms and Frozen brine shrimp and regular flake food from time to time. Basically whatever the top fish don't eat.

I believe in feeding well and changing water frequently. Some people feed their fish very little and they don't change the water very often either.

I believe this is particularly bad if you have Corys because there's a buildup of stuff in the bottom of the tank.

The only way to Leach that stuff out is water changes.

gumshoe

Is that postering a sure sign of stress ?

I’ve seen mine do that before but I thought they were just either being weird or it was normal

I’m not sure. Like I said, he seems perfectly fine other than doing that every so often. *shrugs*

My fish don't seem to care for API Foods as much as some others.

My Corys eat Wardley sinking shrimp pallets and Tetra catfish and Loach wafers.

They also get Frozen bloodworms and Frozen brine shrimp and regular flake food from time to time. Basically whatever the top fish don't eat.

I believe in feeding well and changing water frequently. Some people feed their fish very little and they don't change the water very often either.

I believe this is particularly bad if you have Corys because there's a buildup of stuff in the bottom of the tank.

The only way to Leach that stuff out is water changes.

Thanks! I will look into those! The water is changed regularly based on parameters from my test kit. I used a medication a while ago and it has bugged out my BB establishment. Currently fighting climbing nitrites.

Lunnietic

I would switch over to a different shrimp pellet. You wouldnt put your dog or cat on a vegeterrian diet--would you? The same goes for cories.

I have had success with Wardleys shrimp pellets. The bloodworms mine wouldnt take to.

gumshoe

I would switch over to a different shrimp pellet. You wouldnt put your dog or cat on a vegeterrian diet--would you? The same goes for cories.

I have had success with Wardleys shrimp pellets. The bloodworms mine wouldnt take to.

As mentioned above, that’s the plan.

Ulu

By the way I was checking out the algae Wafers "with zucchini". What a joke that is.

If you look at the ingredients they contain more niacin than they do zucchini. I bet a whole case of the stuff doesn't contain one single zucchini.

Oh yeah regarding the posing up on the fins like that . . .

My Corey's do it my plecos do it and my oscar does it do.

But the bettas never do that. They just kind of roll over on their sides and rest

Wraithen

My plecos do even more bizarre stunts. Ocassionaly they will even balance on 2 fins and look like they are hovering.

My cories do the same. I've got some hikarI carnivore sinking pellets that everyone goes absolutely crazy for. I offer sinking algae pellets for whomever wants them, as well as flakes or bug bites cichlid and tropical for my tetras and angel that aren't aggressive enough to get the sinking pellets.

Kass472

In my 36 gallon tank I have 3 three spot gouramis and 2 Bronze Corydoras. I had an albino cory but it died the next day after I brought it from the pet store. I replaced it with another cory. This one was white but had no red eyes and a slite bit of gray on its sides. I assume this was just a strangly colored bronze cory because it schooled with them and had no red eyes like an albino. My 2 other corys have survived it and have been seeming heal until now. One of my bronze I am not worried about because he will stay in his cave until the other wants to play or it’s feeding time. But, my other cory will go to the same spot (around the heater, and filter) and just swim in place. He can move because after a while when he gets bored he will dart off. Is this normal cory behavior? I have read that it’s because the gravel is to sharp but my gravel is smooth. Please help. (in the photos it’s the darker cory with strange behavior)

Attachments

• 313A0437-FE3C-4526-9E9E-863F3DD7FB00.jpeg
    313A0437-FE3C-4526-9E9E-863F3DD7FB00.jpeg
    147.6 KB · Views: 52
  • 6F9A5ADB-09B5-4879-98FC-AC28A659259B.jpeg
    6F9A5ADB-09B5-4879-98FC-AC28A659259B.jpeg
    122.7 KB · Views: 53
  • E9E5C572-7D89-4D90-9153-546084DEF141.jpeg
    E9E5C572-7D89-4D90-9153-546084DEF141.jpeg
    129.4 KB · Views: 55
  • 15052D05-529A-4F4C-B598-620D502CD9FE.jpeg
    15052D05-529A-4F4C-B598-620D502CD9FE.jpeg
    118.7 KB · Views: 56
  • F40C233A-95E7-4F50-A0B2-719CFBF2F171.jpeg
    F40C233A-95E7-4F50-A0B2-719CFBF2F171.jpeg
    88.9 KB · Views: 51
  • BE09CD53-5EF2-4767-8E2D-1D4DBEB0AF49.jpeg
    BE09CD53-5EF2-4767-8E2D-1D4DBEB0AF49.jpeg
    136 KB · Views: 54

awilkinson871

They don't appear to be the same type to me. A couple things about corys- they do better in groups of 6 of the same type, they like caves and large plants to hide under when they get nervous, and they do not eat algae wafer pellets. Only 2 does not make them comfortable and they do not have a lot of hiding places in the picture. Also in one picture I see a pellet but cannot tell what type it is. Corys are meat eaters so make sure you are feeding sinking catfish pellets with bloodworms or brine shrimp as an occasional treat. They do like to dig in substrate and they cannot in the size gravel you have.

Kass472

I feed them algae wafers and salmon Omega One pellet. Since that picture was taken the liter one has become more similar to the darker one in color. They school and play together. When I drop food in they will push over pieces of gravel and find the pellets.

Strider1520

I have 5 peppered cories and one or two will do the same thing-just lay there for a time and then swim off. I think they are just resting. I have one that likes to lay partially on it’s side ( I used to tap on tank to make sure it was alive and usually just got a Cory “wink”). Even had someone tell me once they thought I had a dead fish…..then the next minute they are swimming in sync dancing in the filter currents along the glass. They are full of personalities. But mine do occasionally lay in one spot - mainly in my plants. It’s like they take a rest before dancing off again.

DoubleDutch

Sorry to say but both corys are starving.
Skip the algaewafers (they're not algaeeaters and don't get the right minerals / protein and minerals.
The substrate really is an issue as well for several reasons. And then get more.of these social fish.

Kass472

I’m thinking about getting 6 Corydoras. I don’t understand what you mean about algae wafers, they eat them just fine. I have heard that I should give them a sandbox to play in. Is that okay?

Coradee

Hi, yes they will eat the algae wafers if there’s nothing else on offer however they get little to no nutrition from them. I’d suggest getting a good catfish pellet suitable for corys more carnivorous side, or a Shrimp pellet, also if you can get them frozen foods such as bloodworms, daphnia, brine shrimp etc.
The substrate may be an issue as the grains are rather large & food may be dropping down to where the corys can’t get it, they would appreciate a sand area if you have the room to do one.

Kass472

My LFS sells brine shrimp and blood worms. I will try those. Should I put plants around the sand area so the can hide in there?

Coradee

Plants would be good though if you already have planted areas it’s not a necessity.

Edit: just looked at your pics & yes more plants would definitely be a good idea :)

Kass472

One of them chooses to lay in the front between 2 of the plants. They like plants. I think I will get some more. My Java Fern is producing spores and mini ferns are growing. Any tips on how to deal with the mini ferns? Will they fall of on their own? Or will I need to plant them?

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
DoubleDutch
Replies
Views
Rohit C
Replies
Views
Yoshigecko
  • Question