Strange Cory behavior: is he sick?

1. s

sbdzx Valued Member Member

Here are my 5 albino cories I got at Walmart last Monday. 4 appear healthy, but this one's behavior is concerning. He acts like the rest at feeding time, but most of the time he just lies in the corner. Then, he will quickly get up, zoom back and forth in the upper level of the aquarium for 1-4 seconds, and then come back down abruptly to rest on the sand, usually in one of the front corners. His gills may be moving a little faster than the other cories, and he's got a yellowish color to him, while the others are more milky/pinker. What would you do about this catfish? It's been going on for a couple days that I've noticed, and it's rather concerning. Thanks.

29 gal, temp 79, pH 7.5, ammo .1 (the API test color looks between 0 and .25; it's hard to tell), nitrite 0, nitrate 10-15.

2. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

Stressed? Also Walmart fish are usually sick when bought. Also if he is darting to the top of the tank that is normal behavior.

3. Coradee

Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

It could be that he's just a bit more stressed than the others & taking more time to settle in.
    If he's feeding well with the others that's good but keep an eye on him, zooming to the top is quite normal for corys as they go up to gulp a mouthful of air but if he or the others are doing it a lot then there's something wrong

4. OP
    OP
    s

sbdzx Valued Member Member

Okay, I'll just try to keep water parameters stable and keep an eye on him. He does zoom to the top, and the others do too, but he doesn't play or go digging around in the sand like the others do. He just sits in the corner, occasionally darts around the top, and then goes to lie down again. Hopefully he'll stabilize in a few weeks.

Probably it wasn't the best thing to do by getting Walmart corys, but that was the only place in town that had them. The Walmart fish bag says 90-day guarntee on live fish, so... that's nice to know.

5. TheCoolFish

TheCoolFish Valued Member Member

Yes it's stress my two albino took about three days to snap out of it.