Strange Color Changing

Discussion in 'Betta Fish' started by Buggers, Jun 19, 2019.

1. BuggersNew MemberMember

I know that color changing can be very normal in Bettas. And my pretty boy pascal has changed so much since I got him. I’ll show you some before and after pictures. But when he was going from an almost green cellophane into a green, red and black fish, he suddenly got a thick tan strip through his body on both side. I’m not sure if it’s just part of his patterning or not. But I thought I’d see what you guys think. When you look closing at the tan spot you can’t quite tell if there are even scales or not

2. BuggersNew MemberMember

I initially bought him and he was fairly cellophane 34E53778-BE5E-45AD-A34E-5177469F287F.png
    Then he got a lot more green
    83B1CB6C-06D1-4745-A18C-1BCC1A10710A.png
    Now he is mostly black, with some red and green,
    and his weird tan strip
    F5B79647-BB23-47F9-9BCE-E33F45F3FC29.jpeg

3. Crimson_687Well Known MemberMember

May be a stress stripe. If it is a stress stripe, test your water, preform water changes, check your temp, smell your water (sometimes there can be more chlorine in tap then usual, allowing the water to have an unsual smell, thus you must increase amount of tap conditioner used. Unlikely but possible). Observe his health for signs of illness.
    In female bettas, idk if males get this too, but when stimulated to breed will have multiple thick dark stripes running down their body vertically
    Stress stripes is usually a single dark colored stripe running horizontally from tail to head. You can see images for assistance. I’ll see if I can link a google image of a stress stripe vs verticals

Reasons for edit: did not see pictures during initial response
    Wow that color change is quite drastic and he is gorgeous regardless of what color he is! His color does not appear faded so as long as he is healthy he should be fine

On second inspection the tan stripe could be a stress stripe.
    How big is your tank? I can’t see the whole tank in the pic but it seems small
    What’s ur temp and wc schedule?
    In the pic he seems to be sitting at the top. Does he always do this or is he active?

4. BuggersNew MemberMember

Ya he is my favorite boy. He seems to act totally normal so I thought maybe it was just part of his crazy changing. I have some ladies too and I’ve seen there stress stripes so I know what you’re talking about. I test there water and keep it safe, but maybe I’ll look into the chlorine just in case. He recently has started to get some slit type things in his tail. I noticed them this morning. And I had just recently moved him into a filtered tank and I’m wondering if maybe that’s what it is. You can kind of see it in the last pic on his back and top fin. I’m not sure if it’s fin rot or just a strong filter.

5. Crimson_687Well Known MemberMember

Does seem a bit non-intact with the tail spines. I’ve never had experience with fin rot, but as for the filter you can cover the intake with a sponge, fine fish net material, or a simple non-dyed fabric. Also how big is your tank? If your filter is too strong for the tank it may be problematic in the long run. Bettas need an area where they don’t have to fight the current, and especially with finnage that extensive his movement is quite restricted. Of course overfiltration is good, great actually, so long as the betta has a low flow tank area

6. FanaticFishlore VIPMember

That is not a stress stripe, as those would blend into the color better and go horizontally across the body in an even pattern.

It looks like your betta is marbling, as he obviously possesses the marble gene that allows them to change color throughout their life span, whether it be a very small change, or a drastic one like seen here. There’s nothing to worry about when they marble, and I find it so interesting to see what they turn out to look like down the road from the original purchase date.

7. e_watson09Well Known MemberMember

Wow he's cool! Nothing to worry about tho, just the genetics behind marbling at play. He's changed so drastically I love it! Gorgeous fish!