Strange Bent analfin On Angel Fry

BAS Aquariums

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I ordered some nice looking marble viel angelfish 2 weeks ago for my 55. I got 2 marbles, which was nice since I only ordered 1. When they arrived one acting strange just kind of flopping on the floor of the tank until it died yesterday. The other has a strange bent analfin that's kind of hard to explain.
f3d3236c7d5ca9568829faede12b98ef.jpg

It hasn't straightened out since it arrived on Thursday. I wanted to breed these and I would like to know if I should cull this one and find another elsewhere.

KakeHugs

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Ouch, I wouldn't order from them again. Did you ever recontact the seller about everything that happen (since they did arrive in the same condition as they are now you said)? Honestly, if he's swimming fine and isn't in pain, the worse he could be is a pet fish. I wouldn't breed that one specifically though.

OP
BAS Aquariums

BAS Aquariums

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I was planning on contacting the seller after I got some other people's opinions on it. I also ordered a super red koI angel and a blue eyed lemon BN, both were some of the most stunning examples of their breeds, even at only a few weeks old. I've never seen or heard of anything like this before.
He is eating and swimming well though. The problem is he's in my 20 h fry/ grow out tank and my BN pair spawned 2 days ago with 40+ eggs.

KakeHugs

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
BAS Aquariums said:
I was planning on contacting the seller after I got some other people's opinions on it. I also ordered a super red koI angel and a blue eyed lemon BN, both were some of the most stunning examples of their breeds, even at only a few weeks old. I've never seen or heard of anything like this before.
He is eating and swimming well though. The problem is he's in my 20 h fry/ grow out tank and my BN pair spawned 2 days ago with 40+ eggs.
I would always contact the seller right away about anything weird. Now that it's two weeks later they might think you just made it all up to get your money back or something and that doesn't end good. They might believe your, they might not. Either way, if you don't have the room for him you can always see if you can sell him/give him to a pet store. Maybe craigslist, or offer him for sale here. Otherwise you could always just keep him chilling in a tank

Mcasella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
This a good reason to never breed this angel, the bent analfin is a standard no-no when breeding to resemble show fish as it is a deformity that will pass on. Good as a pet fish, but not a breeder.

OP
BAS Aquariums

BAS Aquariums

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
so I contacted the seller and he said that he would sent me another with my next order. I'm not going to order anymore angels but I was planing on getting some bn plecos soon anyway. I found a home with a friend of mine who has a spare 40 laying around. unfortunately the pleco spawn I mentioned earlier was eaten by the father (again. He'll get it eventually) so I'll still have the space to raise it.

Mcasella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
BAS Aquariums said:
so I contacted the seller and he said that he would sent me another with my next order. I'm not going to order anymore angels but I was planing on getting some bn plecos soon anyway. I found a home with a friend of mine who has a spare 40 laying around. unfortunately the pleco spawn I mentioned earlier was eaten by the father (again. He'll get it eventually) so I'll still have the space to raise it.
What other fish are in with the pleco daddy? They do not eat their own spawn from everything I've read (now another male will kick the eggs out and attempt to destroy them, but it doesn't sound like the case here) and experienced.

OP
BAS Aquariums

BAS Aquariums

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Sometimes when the're new they just don't get it. I have had some plecos get it on there first try and others that never got it. I've just been holding him for a while in my spawn tank for my buddy who breeds plecos for one of the LFS near us and hes breed with a few of my females. I would remove the eggs but the cave he has chosen to inhabit is a pinched pot cave that is impossible to get the eggs out of. the only fish with him was the was a longfin female who and she just sleeps under the sponge filter all day.

Mcasella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
BAS Aquariums said:
Sometimes when the're new they just don't get it. I have had some plecos get it on there first try and others that never got it. I've just been holding him for a while in my spawn tank for my buddy who breeds plecos for one of the LFS near us and hes breed with a few of my females. I would remove the eggs but the cave he has chosen to inhabit is a pinched pot cave that is impossible to get the eggs out of. the only fish with him was the was a longfin female who and she just sleeps under the sponge filter all day.
You can kidnap the tube and put it in a container with an air bubbler to keep water motion over the eggs with a touch of methylene blue in there to prevent fungus.

New Threads