Strange Behaviour : Why Did My Rams Bury Their Dead Fry?

Megaanemp

Well Known
Hello all,

This last week my Bolivian ram’s fry started free swimming, immediately I could see there was something wrong with the clutch.
These fry where seemed very disoriented and where swimming erratically not just the usually clumsy fry swimming.I tested water parameters and all was well ammonia: 0ppm nitrite: 0ppm nitrate:10ppm pH 7.0 (as usual).Anyways I wasn’t planning on raising these fry so I figured they’d just get picked of by other fish as usual.
However, when I went back later they where dead in a pit that the parents had dug earlier and where using to shelter the fry. I left the room for a bit and when I came back the while pit was filled in, covering the dead fry. This leads me to believe that the parents buried them because the pit was mounded over and sand was clearly dug out from near by to fill the pit.
Is this typical behaviour? What would be their motive of doing this? I really don’t think another fish covered the pit it looked deliberate.

!poogs!

Well Known
Megaanemp said:
Hello all,

This last week my Bolivian ram’s fry started free swimming, immediately I could see there was something wrong with the clutch.
These fry where seemed very disoriented and where swimming erratically not just the usually clumsy fry swimming.I tested water parameters and all was well ammonia: 0ppm nitrite: 0ppm nitrate:10ppm pH 7.0 (as usual).Anyways I wasn’t planning on raising these fry so I figured they’d just get picked of by other fish as usual.
However, when I went back later they where dead in a pit that the parents had dug earlier and where using to shelter the fry. I left the room for a bit and when I came back the while pit was filled in, covering the dead fry. This leads me to believe that the parents buried them because the pit was mounded over and sand was clearly dug out from near by to fill the pit.
Is this typical behaviour? What would be their motive of doing this? I really don’t think another fish covered the pit it looked deliberate.
I have seen this Behavior with other cichlids. In My case when it happens in a community tank, this is the parental instinct to try and protect the fry by hiding them under substrate From predators.

OP
Megaanemp

Megaanemp

Well Known
!poogs! said:
I have seen this Behavior with other cichlids. In My case when it happens in a community tank, this is the parental instinct to try and protect the fry by hiding them under substrate From predators.
Interesting! Mine are in a community tank, thanks for the information.

New Threads