strange Ammonia readings

TedsTank

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I copied this from another post I made so all could see it!

Interesting "tid bit" here on the API ammonia test kits!!

You must periodically clean the test tubes out well.... not just rinse.

I have noticed a slight reading of ammonia and after I scrubbed out the test tubes the reading was gone. The yellow or greenish readings seem to stain the glass or put a slight coating on it!!!!! Doesn't happen very often but can be mystery reading and cause a bit of concern.!!

Brainlady

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I use the API test kit and thoroughly rinse them out with very hot water each time. I scrub them at least once a week as well.... bit hard to do because they are so narrow, but if you use a little dental brush (for cleaning between teeth, has soft bristles) you can really get them clean.

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Hi Ted Good to see you!

One of my old tubes has a yellow tint from so much use.

Thanks for the tip.

Brainlady, that's a good idea.

psalm18.2

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Qtips work too, but definetely hot water. I noticed it more w/ plastic tubes vs glass.

TedsTank

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Good info for anyone getting erronious(sp) ammonia readings.

I noticed it after doing a test, got busy, and the tube just sat for 3 days!!! dah....

But anyway it would give a reading of .25 ammonia.....a clean tube would read 0... and I couldn't see the tint except in bright light, with a white sheet of paper behind it.

Danni

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Api is using plastic tubes? I haven't seen that...

I always wash them well and haven't had a false reading yet. I always check twice if something is off.

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hello Ted! I hope you're doing well.

I have moved your thread to the Freshwater Tank Equipment/Test Kits section of the forum.

Thanks for the tip!

Ken

plecodragon

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
To get them clean, I use a half or quarter of a small cotton ball and a wooden skewer (my favorite non aquarium item),push it down to the bottom of the test tube, twist cotton ball all around and up and down. You will notice a color change on the cotton ball if you have let your test kit tube sit.(I am horrible for this) Discard if it get too dirty and continue. Rinse well and it should be good to go.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom