90 Gallon Tank Strange activity with male guppy

Lauren2t10

I set up my tropical tank around 8 weeks ago maybe more.
I gave it 3 days, added fish and they didn't work out as they had been over fed (my bad) About 2 weeks after I added 3 plecos to remove the algae that built up quite quickly after the first set of fish had died.

One pleco suddenly died about 2 weeks after purchase the other two seem healthy and happy and are still going strong 5/6 weeks later. I'm feeding them two algae wafers every 2-3 days as they've cleared the tank of algae.

The plecos have been on their own in the tank for approx 5 weeks now so I decided to add in 4 male guppies to company them to see how it goes. I added them on the 28th of April 22 and it's now the 30th.

I woke this morning and checked on them all like I usually would. One I thought was missing but out of nowhere he pops up. He's a pure white guppy, yesterday he was perfectly fine.
At 12am that morning they were all perfectly fine but now this male guppy has got reddened gills and a red spot or injury to it's body right beside the start of the fin.

My first thought was maybe the plecos had injured it as they can be territorial but when I researched it, I was reading alot about ammonia levels being too high.
I then tested my parameters and going by what the test kits says they're all fine.
I cleaned the tank about 4-5 days before getting the fish, that included vacuuming the stones and cleaning the filter in water which I took from the tank so it wouldnt loose the good bacteria that the tank needs.
I then added about 30% fresh clean water to the tank and treated as expected with tap safe conditioner.

The guppy I'm talking of is swimming strange almost as if it has swim bladder like my first set of fish all had (again, my bad) but I purposely bought the fish on a day when I wasn't feeding and didn't feed anything in the tank as I was leaving it until today (2 days later).
I feed the plecos every 2-3 days and the fish would be fed the same day as the plecos or at least that was the plan.
Anyway I fed the plecos and guppies this morning. Don't think the male guppy I'm concerned about ate much or anything even.
Not sure what's going on really with the little guy.

Any advice or theories would be appreciated as I'm clueless at this point now..
Just to clarify the tank is a 96/98 liter tank, I'm not sure what that is in gallons.

Flyfisha

Hi Lauren2t10
Welcome to fishlore.
The way I read your post it seems like you did not add any ammonia to the tank for 6 or 8 weeks before you added fish? Was it just 3 days without fish?

If I am correct the tank does not have a full working nitrogen cycle?

96-98 =25 gallons according to Siri on ipad.

Do a water change, but can you test the tanks water before you add 40% new water please.

Lauren2t10

Hi Lauren2t10
Welcome to fishlore.
The way I read your post it seems like you did not add any ammonia to the tank for 6 or 8 weeks before you added fish? Was it just 3 days without fish?

If I am correct the tank does not have a full working nitrogen cycle?

96-98 =25 gallons according to Siri on ipad.

Do a water change, but can you test the tanks water before you add 40% new water please.
When I first bought the tank I waited 3 days and added fish. I realised my error when they all died that I had over fed them. Parameters where very off after that and I done a deep clean of the tank as no fish or plecos where in the tank. I changed probably 75% of the water and used tap safe conditioner and abiological enhancer. I also added nitrite remover to take away the high levels of nitrite that were present. I left the tank for about 2 weeks monitoring the parameters and they were perfect. The algae build up was crazy so I then introduce 3 pleco cleaners who were going really well for 2 weeks but one died. The other two are still alive and eating as much as ever. About 5 weeks after adding the plecos to the tank I then thought about adding fish which I did. I checked the parameters before getting the fish and they were perfect. I checked them again when one of 4 fish got sick after i added them and they read perfect conditions.

Does that help??

Flyfisha

Yes that helps a lot Lauren2t10.

The tank is still not safe for fish.

The tank does not have a full house of bacteria.

I know you say the water tests perfect but you don’t seem to have a complete understanding of how the colonies of bacteria work ?

Do you have some nitrates and zero ammonia?

You added a nitrites remover but should not need to if the tank had enough bacteria. A cycled tank will not have ammonia or nitrites.

A link.

Aquarium Nitrogen Cycle

attention mattgirl

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Abrookesi
  • Guppy
Replies
Views
emeraldking
  • NeonGuppyGuy
  • Guppy
Replies