Strange Acting Lawnmower Blenny

Scubagirl1
Hi

I have a lawnmower that about 4" now. He's (Jabba) is quite a messy fish and his nature was to usually hide in his rock/ sand hole/cave. He would always make an appearance at feeding time. He's fat and healthy.

Here's the strange thing. Because he's so dirty I added a Turbo snail (named Turbo bc he's fast at cleanI g the glass). So Turbo has been in the tank about a week. Jabba didn't seem to care. Today I seen him laying on top of Turbo! As I got closer..he was trying to get Turbo off the glass or at least it looked that way. It took about 30 seconds to get him to get off of him. Without putting my hand in the tank. He then perched himself on the heater a short distance away. I walk off and come back and darn it jabba is doing it again. And again he jumps back to the heater. He has been jumping to spots highest in the tank all day and out and about. This is not his usual behavior.

Is he jealous? Turbo is eating the algae that he refused to eat. Hasn't touched the algae or the wafers that Jabba eats. So I'm confused. Jabba hasn't messed with anyone else in the tank. Just Turbo. No other fish or snails are being harrassed.

Any ideas? I've turned on my blue lights to calm Jabba down a bit and ready to just turn them off.
I'll try to get a picture later. Nc I'm sure he will do it again. Btw Turbo makes a whole different type of mess arghh.

richiep
In the UK they are known as Blenny I cought one when diving and he gave me a nasty bite and I believe snails are part of their diet

littlemew4
I thought you where talking about a literal grass cutting lawnmower. XD

ryanr
Hi,
Lawnmowers are pretty much exclusively herbivores. The odd coral maybe, but I’ve not known them to target inverts.
Are you sure he’s not cleaning Turbo’s shell?

littlemew4 said:
I thought you where talking about a literal grass cutting lawnmower. XD
If you’ve ever watched these guys, they pretty much are

Scubagirl1
richie.p said:
In the UK they are known as Blenny I cought one when diving and he gave me a nasty bite and I believe snails are part of their diet
Hey I'm a master diver/rescue diver. Never seen on in their natural surrounding but have heard they bite. Although he has never bitten me. He's a lawnmower blenny. This not good. He is NOT allowed to eat Turbo.

ryanr said:
Hi,
Lawnmowers are pretty much exclusively herbivores. The odd coral maybe, but I’ve not known them to target inverts.

If you’ve ever watched these guys, they pretty much are
Yes. It's what allows him to have a nice home. Other wise he's a really dirty lot of work fish.

Funny story. When I bought him I didn't know they were such good jumpers. I placed him in the quarantine tank and he immediately jumped out on to my hand. I screamed. Bc I'm a girl lol. My friend was here and caught him and put him in the tank. Silly fish. His name was Jordan bc of his jumping ability but once he got fat n messy he got renamed to Jabba...as in star wars.

Scubagirl1
ryanr said:
Hi,
I didn't think of that. Maybe. But he was trying to grt to Turbo's foot. I think that's what they call it. I know they'll bite and scrape tangs. My friend got rid of her lawnmower bc it kept biting her tangs. Maybe because they eat the same food as the tangs.

He doesn't mess with my spiny star astraea snails and my nassarius snails only come out at night and he doesn't mess with them.

Just this new unusual behavior since he noticed Turbo.

ryanr
Well, at least like a tortoise, a snail can quickly retract itself to the safety of its house.

richiep
ryanr is completely right they are herbivores but for some reason the do tend to have a nip at small claims or coral, the ones we get are twice the size and are brown. He'll be fine enjoy watching his antics sounds a mischievous little critter

Scubagirl1
richie.p said:
ryanr is completely right they are herbivores but for some reason the do tend to have a nip at small claims or coral, the ones we get are twice the size and are brown. He'll be fine enjoy watching his antics sounds a mischievous little critter
Omg will he get bigger than 5"? He is very funny. He burrowed a little place under the rock which is where he usually stays. Yesterday was the most active I've seen him and I've had him a few months. He's almost doubled in size. Most of the day he harrassed Turbo, or perched on the heater. He may have been eating algae off of Turbo like Ryan mentioned. One of my little astera snails was a hitchhiker on Turbo for a few days.we'll see what today brings.

richiep
dont know if it will come out but try this link, if not type in uk blenny they are not as colourful as tropical marine

Scubagirl1
richie.p said:
dont know if it will come out but try this link, if not type in uk blenny they are not as colourful as tropical marine
Oh my gosh they get BIG. I can see how you could get a nasty bite. Jabba is absolutely out grow his home.Thank for sharing that site.

I think the addition of Turbo has made him brave. He has been spending a lot more time out and about vs in his little self made cave.

richiep
I don't think yours will grow that big most of them are native to British shores, I love the names you've given your tank friends,

Scubagirl1
richie.p said:
I don't think yours will grow that big most of them are native to British shores, I love the names you've given your tank friends,
Thanks. My damsels..larry moe n curley are better known as my band of idiots. They chase each other all day. Zooming through the rocks. Jabba has taken to sitting on the heater all day. I think he's waiting for me to take the lid off so he can escape.

richiep
Talk about escaping They jump pretty good as well

Latest threads

Top Bottom