Strands growing on my driftwood

Nuclearbunnie

Reaction score
I have some drift wood in my tank. It's been there a few weeks, and a couple days ago I noticed these strands or tiny roots growing out of it. Is it anything I should be concerned about?

Attachments

Myyyman

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I've had that problem before. All though I wouldn't consider it a problem as such. It looks to me like your anubias' roots are rotting or infected with a fungI that has grown on your driftwood. This shouldn't be harmful to fish and can be physically removed. I would recommend getting some fungus remover though.

Myyyman

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
So I did some research, I believe it's driftwood fungus. Paragaurd is for fish's fungal growths, not plants. If you can't access the link, basically you need to remove as much by hand and then with a gravel siphon or turkey baster. Stir up the substrate with it, because it will spread there and kill your plants. Take your plants out and put them in a potasssium permungate bath, wait until fungus is gone before putting them back in. Do a 50% water change while they're out and maintain filter flow. Do daily 25% water changes for a week or so. If the above doesn't work then you can put some fluconazole in.

StarGirl15

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Driftwood gets fungus sometimes when its new in a tank. It should go away. If it really bothers you take it out and scrub it with a toothbrush being careful around your plant.

Myyyman

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
StarGirl15 said:
Driftwood gets fungus sometimes when its new in a tank. It should go away. If it really bothers you take it out and scrub it with a toothbrush being careful around your plant.
It may get fungus sometimes and go away, but not before killing your plants and throwing all that money away. It is always good to invest in things that save more money than you have spent.

New Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom