Stowaway Snail

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Abinormala, Jul 25, 2014.

1. Abinormala

AbinormalaNew MemberMember

ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1406297838.389316.jpg

I'm not sure if you can make it out but I have a snail stowaway in my new fish tank which is still cycling. I plan on adding my betta to this tank eventually. Is this little snail doomed? Could there be other little stowaways?

I added a bunch of plants last week, he could've hitched a ride then. Should I be concerned about my betta at all when it comes time to introduce him to the tank?

Abinormala

2. Phishphin

PhishphinWell Known MemberMember

Definitely not uncommon! It looks like a little guy, so there is a good chance there were some eggs that hitched a ride. I wouldn't be surprised if more appear. I would only say they are doomed if you pluck them out, like I do (mwahahahaha).

I always see a new little guy pop up, even if it has been weeks since the last.

edit: And I think your betta will be fine as well.

3. OP
    OP
    Abinormala

Thank you for your response!

Abinormala

4. ricmcc

ricmccWell Known MemberMember

First, I love your name:), it is my wife's pet name for me.
    I avoid snails like the plague (no fault of theirs', I just don't happen to like them, although I am told that they always speak well of me).
    At any rate, like taxes and in-laws, they are inevitable; I just put out bait, like cucumber or such, and drag them in in the morning.
    It is control, not elimination, but sort of works as a man/mollusk treaty of sorts---rick

5. OP
    OP
    Abinormala

I've heard people say that snails can be good for the tank, cleaning off algae, uneaten food, rotting plant matter. Am I naive to rejoice over this "freebie" snail?

Abinormala

6. Phishphin

PhishphinWell Known MemberMember

Not naive! Different snails will eat different amounts of food and have different breeding habits. I have nerite snails in my tank. Nerites eat tons of different algae/detritus and only breed in brackish water so I don't have to worry about them taking over my tank. The biggest worry about keeping hitchicker snails is that they could potentially breed and overrun the tank. I think snails are a great addition to any tank though.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice