Stowaway Snail

1. Abinormala Initiate Member

ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1406297838.389316.jpg

I'm not sure if you can make it out but I have a snail stowaway in my new fish tank which is still cycling. I plan on adding my betta to this tank eventually. Is this little snail doomed? Could there be other little stowaways?

I added a bunch of plants last week, he could've hitched a ride then. Should I be concerned about my betta at all when it comes time to introduce him to the tank?

Abinormala

2. Phishphin Well Known Member Member

Definitely not uncommon! It looks like a little guy, so there is a good chance there were some eggs that hitched a ride. I wouldn't be surprised if more appear. I would only say they are doomed if you pluck them out, like I do (mwahahahaha).

I always see a new little guy pop up, even if it has been weeks since the last.

edit: And I think your betta will be fine as well.

3. Abinormala Initiate Member

Thank you for your response!

Abinormala

4. ricmcc Well Known Member Member

First, I love your name:), it is my wife's pet name for me.
    I avoid snails like the plague (no fault of theirs', I just don't happen to like them, although I am told that they always speak well of me).
    At any rate, like taxes and in-laws, they are inevitable; I just put out bait, like cucumber or such, and drag them in in the morning.
    It is control, not elimination, but sort of works as a man/mollusk treaty of sorts---rick

5. Abinormala Initiate Member

I've heard people say that snails can be good for the tank, cleaning off algae, uneaten food, rotting plant matter. Am I naive to rejoice over this "freebie" snail?

Abinormala

6. Phishphin Well Known Member Member

Not naive! Different snails will eat different amounts of food and have different breeding habits. I have nerite snails in my tank. Nerites eat tons of different algae/detritus and only breed in brackish water so I don't have to worry about them taking over my tank. The biggest worry about keeping hitchicker snails is that they could potentially breed and overrun the tank. I think snails are a great addition to any tank though.