10 Gallon Tank Story: The Tetra Epidemic

CopperIsEpiK
At this point my 10gal tank has been running for about 3 months. My fish are happy and the tank is thriving. I thought it would be fun to introduce a few new members to the tank. I head out to PetCo, having NO idea what fish I'm going to buy. I settle on 1 Albino Corydoras, and 4 Black Skirt tetra. I get home, and I notice one of the tetra is VERY round and not moving to much. I think he is just constipated or something, so I let it go. I get them in the tank, and they are all swimming around, investigating their new home. The fat tetra is laying on the substrate, not breathing too much. I start to get worried, but I decide to just go to bed.

The next day, I find the fat tetra belly-up at the top of the tank. I scoop him out and flush him (S.I.P. Fat Tetra).. Then, a few hours later, I find the body of one of my Neon tetra! The same thing happened. Eventually, all 5 of my Neon tetra and 2 Black Skirt tetra have been killed (S.I.P. Tetra). I call my Aunt over to the house to bring some medication. We put in some Ich-X and API medicine because we didn't know WHAT killed them. After we medicated the tank, no more fish died.

After that, my tank has kinda been in shambles, but now I know to quarantine new fish before introducing them.

Advertisement
Silverleaf209
At this point my 10gal tank has been running for about 3 months. My fish are happy and the tank is thriving. I thought it would be fun to introduce a few new members to the tank. I head out to PetCo, having NO idea what fish I'm going to buy. I settle on 1 Albino Corydoras, and 4 Black Skirt tetra. I get home, and I notice one of the tetra is VERY round and not moving to much. I think he is just constipated or something, so I let it go. I get them in the tank, and they are all swimming around, investigating their new home. The fat tetra is laying on the substrate, not breathing too much. I start to get worried, but I decide to just go to bed.

The next day, I find the fat tetra belly-up at the top of the tank. I scoop him out and flush him (S.I.P. Fat Tetra).. Then, a few hours later, I find the body of one of my Neon tetra! The same thing happened. Eventually, all 5 of my Neon tetra and 2 Black Skirt tetra have been killed (S.I.P. Tetra). I call my Aunt over to the house to bring some medication. We put in some Ich-X and API medicine because we didn't know WHAT killed them. After we medicated the tank, no more fish died.

After that, my tank has kinda been in shambles, but now I know to quarantine new fish before introducing them.
My advice, don't flush fish, it introduces whatever the fish had into the water along with dead decaying flesh which is bad for the water system.

Advertisement
CopperIsEpiK
My advice, don't flush fish, it introduces whatever the fish had into the water along with dead decaying flesh which is bad for the water system.
I didnt know what to do with em :/

Silverleaf209
I didnt know what to do with em :/
Couldn't you bury or throw away?

Noroomforshoe
I bury my dead fish under garden plants, it is a nicer, kinder thing to do, Put petco has a 14 day return on dead fish policy dont they?

I am not trying to be rude, but I think that you are overstocking your little tank. I would not expect this to cause so many sudden deaths, but it may have been the straw on the camel's back. Small tanks are unstable environments and you need to be extra careful. What are the results of tests for ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate?

Advertisement

CopperIsEpiK
I bury my dead fish under garden plants, it is a nicer, kinder thing to do, Put petco has a 14 day return on dead fish policy dont they?

I am not trying to be rude, but I think that you are overstocking your little tank. I would not expect this to cause so many sudden deaths, but it may have been the straw on the camel's back. Small tanks are unstable environments and you need to be extra careful. What are the results of tests for ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate?
Nah, that incident was like 3 months ago. I only have 3 tetra, 1 Betta, a Pleco, and Alby. Still overstocked, but not to bad.. 0 Nitrite 0 Ammonia 0 Nitrate (Mid-planted) 8.0pH
Couldn't you bury or throw away?
They smelled so bad I couldn't even put em in the trash ;/ I didn't know how to properly dispose of them (Twas my first fish deaths)

Silverleaf209
Nah, that incident was like 3 months ago. I only have 3 tetra, 1 Betta, a Pleco, and Alby. Still overstocked, but not to bad.. 0 Nitrite 0 Ammonia 0 Nitrate (Mid-planted) 8.0pH

They smelled so bad I couldn't even put em in the trash ;/ I didn't know how to properly dispose of them (Twas my first fish deaths)
I am sorry if I seem annoyed or like a know-it all, good luck.

CopperIsEpiK
I am sorry if I seem annoyed or like a know-it all, good luck.
Nah, your fine! I can be a bit confusing when explaining stuff like this. Ty

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Yourlocalfishkeeper
  • Question
Replies
Views
Ghelfaire
Replies
Views
GoldieB