Storm - he's moving on up, to the East side, to a deluxe apartment...

voiceless_kat

Well Known Member
Reaction score
in the sky.....okay probably myself, Rose and a couple others know what that song is...

Today Storm moved into his new tank. He had his last dose of Maracyn, so he is now in his new home with all the acoutrements ( well, his knarly root isn't here yet) and all the swimming room, and his lights and heater, and filter..... although the water was conditioned, I used some AmQuel+ & NovAqua and Vita Chem.

There was an earlier post about catching these guys in the net or cup--I was bragging Neptune up--but OMG..Storm went crazy. Some of the red left his face, no kidding. Then I had him in the cup floating on top of the tank, and he was going nuts.hating it. (he later told me he heard the other bettas talking at Walmart 2 weeks ago, and thought he was going to get flushed)...( I am certifiable ) : ;D

When I released him into the tank he went straight to the bottom and laid there, I thought I killed him. But I turned off the light and left him for about a half hour. When I went back, he is swimming around and exploring. He hasn't stopped since!!

Guys, I may be crazy, but I am happy crazy...2 weeks ago when I found him, he was almost dead. He is like a totally different fish! Yay! Now I just have to trick him into eating a pea, and I will be confident to say the rescue was a success!!!

I was needing inspiration for a children's book,.............this may be it!!!

genie

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
ok, ok I know the Jefferson's when I hear it! (now watch that be wrong-- I am only 24) ;D
The trick to pea eating is holding it on the surface. Even my picky Kronos eats a pea every week. I put it on the end of my fingernail, and you know those plastic things that hold tags onto clothes at the store, they work for holding a pea too! (I have limited resources and no patience to wait and get what I need, so I am resoursful) Just stab the pea with it and hold it at the top of the tank.
I am glad to hear of a rescue healing gone good!!!
Now throw him a tank warming party! 8) OK I might be crazy too, but sanity is over rated!

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Congratulations and Felicitations!!!

Now for the peas. The secret is to put him on a fast (no food whatsoever for a whole day) and then when he is really hungry you pop in there with a pea treat and he is so hungry he will eat ANYTHING and he chomps it down before he looks. I am not sure he is ready in his recovery yet to have a fast so you may want to just watch the amount of food very closely so he doesn't get constipated and try next week for the fast and pea treat. Unless he is really a healthy fishie now. If he is normal and naturally active then go for it.

Sounds like he is starting to like you and his new home.

Rose

voiceless_kat

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Genie said:
Now throw him a tank warming party! 8) OK I might be crazy too, but sanity is over rated!
It is the Jefferson's - good on you. And sanity is over rated. I think I had to be so serious in my job, so now I am retired and can just let it out!! LOL " A rescue Healing" - I like that!!

I may not fast Storm yet, Rose, as you suggested. He is moving around the tank, but not that darting betta dance yet. Still exploring, eats well, comes to the front of the tank or stops if he can see us. He still doesn't seem to have that flight reflex, but I am optimistic and enjoy the beauty that is Storm while I can. the pea can wait til next week for sure. Neptune takes his pea piece off of my fingertip....he does cute things to compensate for his tail rot I think, so that I will adore him! LOL :-\ This will also be his first week off meds to, so keep your fins crossed!!

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Yea.. the Jeffersons is a tv show from back when there were less than 100 channels on TV!

The way we feed peas to our bettas is to mince them into tiny pieces and feed them as if they're pellets. Each betta gets about 1/4 of a pea now.

He's a character and on his way to a happy Betta life.

voiceless_kat

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Dave..maybe 100 where you live....we had maybe 10..LOL However it was after rabbit ears time...

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
voiceless_kat said:
Dave..maybe 100 where you live....we had maybe 10..LOL However it was after rabbit ears time...
Those poor rabbits! first people start taking their feet and then their ears too?! :'( :'(

voiceless_kat

Well Known Member
Reaction score
LOL, poor little bunny critters!! Twisting those ears every which way............

I have to report that Storm is really scooting around his new digs today! I think he is a happy fish, however he is anxious for his root to get here, and I did receive notice of shipping, so hopefully tomorrow. Also, the colour came back to his face - remember I said the red colour drained from his face during the cup catching/netting debacle yesterday. He is very photogenic now, so I will do some pics soon.

However, I think he is having some ego issues, since I snuck up on him and he was flaring at himself in the dark, with his fins now part of the show ( before he just did his gills and really looked like a pumpkin) ( boys will be boys) and he is quite a stunner. Last night was his first sleep in the dark, so he has settled right in. Also the little tear that was in the middle of his pelvic fin is starting to close. ;D Yay!!

I love my fish Storm..and am so happy to be able to share his rescue and recovery with people who won't think I am nuts! ( Well, for the most part!) ;D My hubby says that as soon as the kitchen lights go on in the morning, Storm & Neptune race to the front of their tanks......he's falling in love..............

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
lol.. those sweet little stinkers can win anyone over with some exposure to the big ball of character that they are. we're powerless to resist.. bettas will soon rule the planet and bloodworms will be everywhere!

Bonochick

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Genie said:
ok, ok I know the Jefferson's when I hear it! (now watch that be wrong-- I am only 24) ;D
I'm only 25, and I knew it too...and I love it.

Glad everything is working out! Did you throw him a housewarming party?

Eskielvr

Valued Member
Reaction score
Did he finally get a piece of pie too?

nmwierman1977

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Aw, I'm glad that he is adjusting well and getting to 100% health again. You are becoming quite the betta mommy, not that you weren't before, but you have more knowledge now. Natalie

voiceless_kat

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Re: Storm - he's moving on up, to the East side, to a deluxe apartment...PICS

Thanks, Nat....knowledge is power they say...read read read....ears open and mouth closed ( I always have a hard time with that!!LOL) It is sage advice from Rose, Phlox, Dave and support from everyone that got us this far. I hope Storm's journey will be long and healthy. Here is a before ( April 26th) pic and 3 of him in his new tank tonight..it was dark and I just put his light on....was he sleeping, not a chance...swimming around trying to see himself....he is a vain little guy!! Val ;D :

Jendayi

Valued Member
Reaction score
WOW he looks amazing!! Very well done He's just gorgeous cruising through the water!

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
That's great! ;D Storm looks so much happier now & I figure our Bettas are entitled to some vanity.. aren't we always telling them how handsome and beautiful they are?

Phloxface

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Aaawww! He looks great! He looked so sad when you first got him.    You can really see the difference in his face now. He looks happier and healthier! I'm so glad he was rescued!!!     

voiceless_kat

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Re: Storm - he's moving on up, to the East side, to a deluxe apartment.PICS ..

Thanks guys...He is a pretty frisky little guy now...hopefully it will be for always!! ;D ;D

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
WOW he really had a turnaround! Great job. He makes me remember how much I love Veiltails.

Rose

voiceless_kat

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Oh Rose, I was especially hoping you would see those pics.  Storm is very active and adorable now, well actually he is a little turd!  LOL  For a fish who was afraid of the air stone and wouldn't swim if it was on, even with a valve thingee- so it was hardly running - he now likes to spend time catching bubbles from the bio wheel.  I have to put his light out or he would never sleep. He eats like a porker - loves Daphnia ( thanks - so does Neptune), bloodworms, pellets.  And his fins are beautiful and healthy, and the tips of his ventrals are aqua blue!! That little tear you can see up closer to his body is also healing nicely.  He loves looking at himself a lot!   His tank is right where you pass him going to the kitchen, hallway or bath, and he starts performing as soon as he sees someone moving!!  ( I'm getting all choked up - what a suck!! :-[ )

I am just tickled at his recovery, and am so happy I chose a sick betta to rescue....he has paid me back in spades every day with his antics.  And best of all, hubby has caved...............he now agrees that bettas aren't your typical "fish".

Soon, I will have to get his tank cycled...as soon as my 6 is done, and I believe I am well back on track with that also.  Thanks Again.  I'm glad to see you back and hope you are feeling well, and that Nate is also.   Val ;D

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom