storing water for a fresh water tank

1. b

bajan brit 76 New Member Member

hi guys ,just want some info on storing water for a fresh water tank --- as it is winter my tap water is very cold and i am getting some water containers to do the water changes, should i just fill them up and add some prime?

2. Matt B

Matt B Well Known Member Member

Do you mean you're just putting it in buckets to bring it in the house to warm up? I usually get the water from a faucet so I can adjust the temp of the new water to the tanks temp. Is that not an option?

3. Orion5

Orion5 Well Known Member Member

Nowadays fishkeepers usually just combine hot & cold water out of the tap, add the prime, and put the water in the tank after the water change.

However I still use this "older" method of preparing water this way. I used either buckets (only for aquarium water of course, not the one you use to mop your floor or something... ;) ) or those large water cooler bottles. The water cooler bottles worked better for me because they could be more easily stored.

You keep the water in the containers for about 48 hours or so, then add the prime and stir it around, and then do the water change.

PLEASE keep in mind that if you go this route, you will have to perform SMALLER water changes than you would if matching the temperature from the tap. Even with the water sitting out and attaining room temperature, it still isn't the same temp. as a tropical fish tank. The maximum change I would do this way is 25% to avoid a really serious temperature shock, once a week. If you are keeping cooler water fish and the temperature is only a couple of degrees difference, this is less of an issue.

Depending on how stocked your aquarium is 25% once/week may not really be enough. If you need more than that you can either A) decrease your fish load, or B) find a way to bring the prepared water up to temperature. This can be done by inserting a water heater in the bucket of water to heat it up. Of course, this is all assuming that you may not be able to get that much hot water from your tap...

Hope this helps! :)

4. 3

3aquariums Valued Member Member

The spare heater in bucket method is great for using RO water that can't be heated from the tap.

5. ryanr

ryanr Fishlore Legend Member

I agree with 3aquariums.

I fill my buckets and use heaters to bring the temp up.

Only add the prime when you're ready to use the water. Prime works 'instantly', so there is no harm in waiting till you're ready to use the water.

When buying containers, be sure you buy containers designed to hold drinking water. Typically they will be known as 'potable water containers'. Potable containers use a plastic that doesn't leech into the water.

6. OP
    OP
    b

bajan brit 76 New Member Member

thanks u guys

7. s

skjl47 Valued Member Member

Hello; I will add a bit about the types of containers I use. My current containers are two five gallon plastic water jugs, the type that are used in drinking water stands. The third is a six gallon potatable water container.
    I have also used one gallon jugs. I found that the type of one gallon jugs that milk or drinking water come in are too flimsy and will begin to leak after a while. The jugs that clorox and vinegar come in are much sturdier and have held up for years. The jugs that windshield washer fluid have also been used. I rinse thes jugs well and have had no issues when using them.
    I keep water stored in these jugs for a few days and the water comes to room temperature. The temp is usually within ten degrees of tank temps even in the winter so reasonable sized water changes do not affect the tank temps much.
    I am fortunate in that my tap water is treated only with chlorine and after a few days storage can be added to my tanks without the use of any water conditioning chemicals. I have read on this and other forums that many will use such chemicals even if the use is not needed. If you are lucky enough to have good well water or tap water like mine, then the use of such chemicals is an option and not necessary.
    I have not used such chemicals in many decades of fish keeping. Some have written strong opinions against such a practice but it has worked well for me for a long time.
    I will add that some water companies use water treatments other than chlorine such as chloramines. Chloramines are reported to not become inert with simple storage and to require the use of chemical treatments in an aquarium. My water company publishes their treatment methods and were also quick to answer my questions when i spoke to them.
    Good luck