Storing Used Gravel

Discussion in 'Freshwater Substrates - Gravel, Sand' started by bolivianbaby, Apr 7, 2012.

1. bolivianbaby

bolivianbaby Fishlore Legend Member

I am tearing down several tanks and they contain gravel. I am also changing the substrate to play sand in a few of my tanks. I used to use buckets, but I am almost out of storage buckets.

How do you store your used gravel so you can use it again at some later time?

2. Dlondon95

Dlondon95 Well Known Member Member

I put mine in plastic totes, put them out in the sun, then mix it up a little every other day to dry it all out. Then just throw a lid on it and put it away!

3. Akari_32

Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

I put mine out in the sun for a day or so, then bag it up, and shove it in one of the tank stands lol

4. psalm18.2

psalm18.2 Fishlore Legend Member

I've washed gravel in warm water w/ a touch of bleach, rinsed well, and put in oven on low. I used a baking sheet and used the warm setting for about 30 minutes. Dried nice. After that it can be stored in a sealed bucket or container. Dry the gravel fully or you'll get a horrible smell.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice