Storing unused tank/equipment Question

Discussion in 'Freshwater Tank Equipment' started by el337, Jul 16, 2015.

1. el337

el337 Fishlore Legend Member

Once I have my new 46g tank set up, I was planning to put away my 10g tank, heater and filter (MTS has not kicked in yet for me thankfully). So I was wondering how I should clean all the parts? Just wash it under tap water without soap?

I'm just thinking if I need it as a hospital or QT one day, what would be the best way to clean them safely without having to move one of the 46g filters (just using some media only).

2. Dom90

Dom90 Fishlore VIP Member

I have heard water with vinegar works really well, you would clean the tank just as you would clean it if you bought a used tank on craigslist or something.

3. OP
    OP
    el337

Awesome, thanks!

4. Junne

Junne Fishlore Legend Member

I use vinegar and water and just rinse well. I do this with my 5 gallon QT tank. It's always good to have a QT/Hospital tank handy - you never know when you'll need it and all new incoming fish go in to this tank for several weeks to make sure they have no diseases, etc.
    After they are moved to the main tank, I clean it. cover it and store it in the garage for next use.

As for the media, I usually keep an extra set "seeding" in my main tank so that I can move it over to the QT tank in a moments notice.

5. OP
    OP
    el337

I will be adding new fish in the coming weeks after my 46g is set up and existing fish are transferred. And I plan on putting new fish in QT first but the fish I want may not yet be available at LFS so do I just let the QT just sit there running with the filter? I don't want to have to rinse it and put it all away if it may just be a matter of a couple of days to a couple of weeks. Also, the old filter doesn't fit on the rim of my new tank so I can't leave it there either.

6. Dom90

Dom90 Fishlore VIP Member

Yes, just keep the filter running on the old tank so the bacteria doesnt die off. I had the same problem running a filter for a 20 gallon on my new 40 gallon, so I had to just give it away for free...

7. Junne

Junne Fishlore Legend Member

What type of filter do you have? I would not let the filter run without an ammonia source for more than a few days - the beneficial bacterial will die off if not kept fed.

What I do is buy the cut-to-fit filter pads from amazon ( or your local fish store may have them in stock ) its more economical this way and you can use it in just about any filter housing. The brand I most use is called Deep Blue.

8. OP
    OP
    el337

The 10g has the Aqueon 10 and the new tank will have an AC 50 and AC 70. But I was planning on moving the filter floss only to one of the AC's to jump start the cycle. Maybe once I get new fish to QT, I take the filter floss out again from the AC and transfer it back to the old filter and start it back up?

I'm just concerned that taking it out of the AC prematurely will screw up the cycle in the new tank.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice