Storing Tanks In Shed?

Discussion in 'Cleaning and Maintenance' started by Irv, Aug 22, 2019.

1. Irv

IrvValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +35
    Hi guys,

I was hoping someone could answer a question for me. I've been looking online trying to get some extra equipment and tanks to have around. I found an elderly gentleman giving stuff away and but as a condition he wants me to take all his stuff, I don't have much indoor storage, but do have a shed. Would glass and/or acrylic aquariums be okay stored in a shed long term? I live in PA where summer are really hot and winter's are really cold. Thanks for any input !

2. FishGirl38

FishGirl38Well Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +330
    Experience:
    3 years
    I live in Ohio, We have similar weather, and I'd say I don't believe so on the acrylic (but I don't know for a fact, never tried it). As for glass, I have had a 75G stored for...maybe about 7 years in a spare room in my garage. We did have to re-seal it when we brought it back in, the tank did leak. But the glass was fine.

I'm not 100%, but I think I recall something about acrylic having the ability to slightly expand and retract with the weather. Maybe it's the sealant (which IMO, would make more sense considering we had to re-seal our tank).

3. e_watson09

e_watson09Well Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +332
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Almost always if the tank is stored without water for a period of time you'll have to reseal the tank, the glass and acrylic should be fine tho

4. OP
    OP
    Irv

IrvValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +35
    Thanks for the input! I guess it's all going in the shed then!

Thanks for the information, I'll have sealant on hand. This might be a silly question but is there special aquarium sealant or is it the same stuff I could buy at home depot?

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 22, 2019
  5. e_watson09

e_watson09Well Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +332
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    I always used the special aquarium ones but you may be able to use the stuff at home depot. You'll also want razor blades to remove the old seals