Question Store Worker Accidentally Gave Me Ghost Shrimp

gian ando

Active Member
Member
Messages
127
Reaction score
22
Experience
Just started
So today I went to petsmart to get neon tetras and a dwarf gouramI for my 45 gallon fish tank. While the lady was getting me neon tetras she got 2 ghost shrimp. I wasn’t planning to get ghost shrimp, but I guess she scooped up 2 while getting the neons (The ghost shrimp and neons live in the same tank). When I got home I looked in the bag and saw 2 shrimp like things that were clear, they were obviously ghost shrimp, and I didn’t ask for them. I have decided to keep them but I don’t know anything about them, other than what they look like. Can anyone tell me what they can eat and other things I should know about them?

Thanks in advance
 

Yale Kim

Active Member
Member
Messages
158
Reaction score
48
they eat almost everything that a fish like to eat like flakes, bloodworms, etc
 

richiep

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
6,691
Reaction score
3,956
Location
Bedford UK but Welsh
Experience
More than 10 years
HI Gian the chances are if you didn't drip acclimate them they may die anyway but if they live they will forage on the floor and eat algae off the plants and glass, if they do breed the gouramI will eat the young if the mother is not put in another tank to hatch them, they will eat any sinking pellet but ide only feed every two days or so and then only 1/4 of pellet, they will also eat cooked broccolI stem which is good for them and will help with calcium, when they moult they will leave an exact replica of themselves in the tank Leave this there as they will eat it
 

kallililly1973

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
9,612
Reaction score
9,275
Location
Rhode Island USA
Experience
Just started
I think the GouramI will find them before their first meal unfortunately. but if they make it then yes they will most likely eat anything they can find.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #7
OP
gian ando

gian ando

Active Member
Member
Messages
127
Reaction score
22
Experience
Just started
richie.p said:
HI Gian the chances are if you didn't drip acclimate them they may die anyway but if they live they will forage on the floor and eat algae off the plants and glass, if they do breed the gouramI will eat the young if the mother is not put in another tank to hatch them, they will eat any sinking pellet but ide only feed every two days or so and then only 1/4 of pellet, they will also eat cooked broccolI stem which is good for them and will help with calcium, when they moult they will leave an exact replica of themselves in the tank Leave this there as they will eat it
I did acclimate them, but I didn’t drip acclimate them. I acclimated them along with the neons (they were in the same bag) by floating them in the tank. Is this ok? It’s how I’ve acclimated all my fish and they’ve all fine. And thanks for the other additional information.

Yale Kim said:
try veggies like green beans or cucumber
Thank you for the advice

kallililly1973 said:
I think the GouramI will find them before their first meal unfortunately. but if they make it then yes they will most likely eat anything they can find.
I haven’t seen the gouramI notice them yet..

Dolfan said:
Here is a link to an article on getting started with freshwater shrimpkeeping, it should answer most of your questions. Quick synopsis, for ghost shrimp, you don't need to do anything, they will scavenge the tank for left over food, fish waste, detritus, whatever really, they aren't picky....

https://www.fishlore.com/aquariumfishforum/resources/freshwater-shrimp-keeping.23/
Thanks for showing me the article. I’ll check it out

Edit: I don’t think that’s the correct link...
 

richiep

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
6,691
Reaction score
3,956
Location
Bedford UK but Welsh
Experience
More than 10 years
To answer your question the only safe way to introduce shrimp is a drip acclimation over a few hrs, you may get away with it, they're in there now they have two chances, if the breed they'll be a good food source for your gouramI every few months unless the gouramI decide to make a meal of them, they'll also mak and interesting focal point in the tank, enjoy them
 

Fishcat

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,211
Reaction score
966
My ghost shrimp have been immensely entertaining. So far they have eaten any food I put in the tank, with a preference for meatier foods - a ghost shrimp having a tug of war with a blackworm is quite a sight. They are honestly the most easy-going tank inhabitants I have. I hope yours make it.
 

aussieJJDude

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
4,267
Reaction score
2,544
Location
Melbourne
Experience
More than 10 years
richie.p said:
To answer your question the only safe way to introduce shrimp is a drip acclimation over a few hrs, you may get away with it, they're in there now they have two chances, if the breed they'll be a good food source for your gouramI every few months unless the gouramI decide to make a meal of them, they'll also mak and interesting focal point in the tank, enjoy them
I have found to be the opposite, a drip acclimation usually ends up with quite a number of dead shrimp for me. Plop and drop usually has the highest success rate for me. (Particularly if store is local, which would have similar water chem)
 

Fishcat

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,211
Reaction score
966
I tried slowly acclimating my shrimp when I got them. One of them got impatient and jumped into the tank.
 

richiep

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
6,691
Reaction score
3,956
Location
Bedford UK but Welsh
Experience
More than 10 years
If water perameters are near enough the same you can get away with it but you won't otherwise,
 

aussieJJDude

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
4,267
Reaction score
2,544
Location
Melbourne
Experience
More than 10 years
richie.p said:
If water perameters are near enough the same you can get away with it but you won't otherwise,
*most likely won't.... We're not dealing with absolutes, like guppies and arowana will coexist peacefully in a 20 gallon tank.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #14
OP
gian ando

gian ando

Active Member
Member
Messages
127
Reaction score
22
Experience
Just started
They seem to be fine, although I have trouble finding them in a 45 gallon fish tank. So far the gouramI seems to be more interested in his reflection then the ghost shrimp. Everything seems good so far. Thanks for you guys’ advice
 

Dch48

Well Known
Member
Messages
2,299
Reaction score
1,501
Location
New York
Experience
More than 10 years
The GouramI may tolerate them for a while and then attack them when they molt and are helpless. My Betta did that. No interest for a month, then wham, shrimp for dinner. My tank is much smaller though so if you have hiding places the shrimp may very well survive. Yes they will eat anything. One of mine ate a piece of red flake food and I could see the red through his side.

My PetSmart keeps the Ghosts in with the Neons too.
 

New Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
201
Guests online
2,723
Total visitors
2,924

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom