Store Reviews

ttltrashmammal
Member
So, how many of you guys leave store reviews after going to one?

I tend to, and I just tore a new one into PetSmart's page. The tl;dr was basically go here for supplies and medicine, but not for your live animals or plants. Also mentioned how, out of the 30 living fish and plants we bought in the past 9 days, only 17 are still alive. Of those that made it, 3 are snails, 3 are plants and 4 are moss balls xD

So, 7 fish out of 20.

They asked for reviews, so they got them.
 
Rockcat3001
Member
Did you test your water conditions and compare it with the conditions at the store? I read recently that the fish we have, have acclimated to current water conditions over time, and that new fish, who haven't had time to slowly acclimate to the current conditions, can go into shock at a rapid change in water conditions and die within several days to a week after the change.
 
  • Thread Starter
ttltrashmammal
Member
Rockcat3001 said:
Did you test your water conditions and compare it with the conditions at the store? I read recently that the fish we have, have acclimated to current water conditions over time, and that new fish, who haven't had time to slowly acclimate to the current conditions, can go into shock at a rapid change in water conditions and die within several days to a week after the change.
Yup. Checked that, took it into the store for them to test, everything. Slowly acclimated them over a few hours to the water (we sat the bags in the water for about 30 minutes, then opened them and spooned a tablespoon of tank water into their bags every 15 minutes.

We even asked them what caused it and they had no idea. Especially the gouramis, who had the fin rot in the store.

I have a few threads going into more detail over in the Freshwater section.
 
Rockcat3001
Member
Wow - sounds like you did everything right, and still had dead fish.
I've had mixed results with their plants. Don't know if it was my fault or theirs, but I've ordered my last several plants on line. Definitely better prices on line, and so far, the plants have done well.
 
  • Thread Starter
ttltrashmammal
Member
Rockcat3001 said:
Wow - sounds like you did everything right, and still had dead fish.
I've had mixed results with their plants. Don't know if it was my fault or theirs, but I've ordered my last several plants on line. Definitely better prices on line, and so far, the plants have done well.
We're not surprised- we don't like having the "blame it on widescale breeding and box stores" mentality, but with how much stress the fish endured before reaching our hands, it would make sense. We found a smaller shop that specializes in fish so we're going there from now on lol.

Their plants are iffy at best- the ferns aren't doing the best but my amazon sword is pulling through pretty well! it may be a matter of how they sold them as well- the ferns were in the tanks while the sword was in the seperate container. No clue.
 
Islandvic
Member
ttltrashmammal , what day does your PetSmart get their fish in?

Out gets their fish in on Thursday afternoons.

I've bought some extremely nice looking male Peacocks from them while they were still floating in the bags.

Next time, find out when they get their fish shipments and try to inspect them as they unpack them.

That way you get pick out the healthy looking ones.

Or check out Aqua Huna website. Cory from Aquarium Co-Op has done a tour of them on YouTube. Aqua Huna is a large wholesale commercial breeder in the Northwest that happens to have a direct to consumer retail website. They offer $12 s&h.

The next time I need community fish, I am going to try them out

Members here on the forum have used then, and report receiving healthy fish.
 
faydout
Member
I've bought 20 lemon tetras, and 10 Kuhli Loaches from them. The tetras have been in my tank for almost 3 months now, and all 20 are... "voracious" seems like the right word. All 10 hippy noodles are doing their thing, they just got out of QT today, and are the first in the new 40B.
 
  • Thread Starter
ttltrashmammal
Member
Islandvic said:
ttltrashmammal , what day does your PetSmart get their fish in?

Out gets their fish in on Thursday afternoons.

I've bought some extremely nice looking male Peacocks from them while they were still floating in the bags.

Next time, find out when they get their fish shipments and try to inspect them as they unpack them.

That way you get pick out the healthy looking ones.

Or check out Aqua Huna website. Cory from Aquarium Co-Op has done a tour of them on YouTube. Aqua Huna is a large wholesale commercial breeder in the Northwest that happens to have a direct to consumer retail website. They offer $12 s&h.

The next time I need community fish, I am going to try them out

Members here on the forum have used then, and report receiving healthy fish.
No clue- we went on the 15th (Monday) and they said they just got a truck in, but when we went back on the 17th (Wednesday), they also said they just got a truck in. Someone was told on a Saturday they got a truck in that day as well. When I asked, they said it's never consistent- just whenever they show up.

I think that's the site that the smaller shop uses, actually! We're going back to see him Thursday or Friday, so we'll talk to him about everything then.

faydout said:
I've bought 20 lemon tetras, and 10 Kuhli Loaches from them. The tetras have been in my tank for almost 3 months now, and all 20 are... "voracious" seems like the right word. All 10 hippy noodles are doing their thing, they just got out of QT today, and are the first in the new 40B.
I bought a betta from Walmart back when they sold fish (back in March of last year), and he's still alive and excitable as ever. They got to the point they bad to stop selling fish xD It may just be a matter of location and where the store gets their fish/if its franchise or not. Idk. Glad your fish are doing well!! ^^
 
Pariah
Member
I also leave reviews when necessary. Good and bad.

PetDumb is a place I will never buy live animals and, honestly, almost never buy anything from them. Overall they are overpriced, low quality live animals and plants and I often factor in politics when shopping.

PetNo is likewise viewed similarly as most big chain stores. Ours has some very rude staff, but their fish are generally pretty healthy, so I'll give them that.

We have another chain store called Pet Supplies Plus nearby. It's like the Kmart of chain pet stores around here. Smaller selection, but their staff is amazing and not only do they price match without hassle, but they'll even help you find deals and coupons. This is where we spend 95% of our money for pets.
 
  • Thread Starter
ttltrashmammal
Member
Pariah said:
I also leave reviews when necessary. Good and bad.

PetDumb is a place I will never buy live animals and, honestly, almost never buy anything from them. Overall they are overpriced, low quality live animals and plants and I often factor in politics when shopping.

PetNo is likewise viewed similarly as most big chain stores. Ours has some very rude staff, but their fish are generally pretty healthy, so I'll give them that.

We have another chain store called Pet Supplies Plus nearby. It's like the Kmart of chain pet stores around here. Smaller selection, but their staff is amazing and not only do they price match without hassle, but they'll even help you find deals and coupons. This is where we spend 95% of our money for pets.
We have Petno and Petdumb, so our options are kinda limited. We just found the little specialty shop a few days ago and we're going there from now on. Petno's product selection is big in terms of fishcare and the staff at ours are nice, but half of the fish are either gone or not being sold at the moment.

Yay for small town life -_-
 
Mike1995
Member
Petsmart is a disgrace and a joke for everything live or not. I to to my lfs and I can buy 99% of the stuff petsmart sells for sometimes as low as half the price. On everything. I went to petsmart one time for cat litter for my cat, $30. I went to my lfs, $15 for the exact same product and size.
I once went to look for a fluval heater at petsmart. $65 for a 300w. Nothing fancy. Just your normal standard heater. I went to my lfs, same exact product for $30. My lfs even has titanium heaters that aren't $65. Filters. I went to petsmart for a filter one time. An aquaclear 20. $50. I walked out. Went to my lfs, $26 for the exact same product. so as you can see, petsmart runs thier prices up high for no reason at all.
I won't buy petsmart fish. Ever. I don't even need to explain why.
Once, I saw they had a trio of guinea pigs in a plastic tote, with the lid closed shut, no holes for them to breathe. I came back the next day to see if they corrected it, nope. Poor things were near dead. I gave the store manager an ear full.
I will never stop foot in a petsmart again as long as I live.
 
Pariah
Member
ttltrashmammal said:
Yay for small town life -_-
That's the only way to go for us. We live in a town of 3,000 and that is one of the biggest places we've ever lived. I do appreciate being able to drive an hour and a half to Columbus for things, but I feel like I need to double up on my blood pressure meds everytime I go to a big city (except Vegas...).
 
NBettas83
Member
I liked how you said, "tore a new one into PetSmart's page".
That made me laugh.
 
zorianak
Member
I prefer to go to my local pet store instead - Denny's Pet World. The staff in the fish area are incredibly knowledgeable, and the manager there and I like to swap photos of our tanks. If anything, it helps support the local economy - which right now, is being hammered pretty hard by COVID. On top of that, they've been extremely forthcoming about supply chain challenges and have helped me get things I otherwise haven't been able to find from the hits to the economy.

Honestly the only reason I go to PetNo anymore is because its within walking distance and I'm desperate for cat/dog food. I did buy my betta from them from a fresh shipment, but only after I learned a staff member walking by had named him Prince Bubblegum. My 36G tank came from PetDumb, and I honestly wish I had waited and purchased something other than a **** TopFin.

So I guess, my unsolicited $.02: shop at your local pet stores. They're considered essential, so they're open, but they're suffering.
 
zorianak
Member
Pariah said:
That's the only way to go for us. We live in a town of 3,000 and that is one of the biggest places we've ever lived. I do appreciate being able to drive an hour and a half to Columbus for things, but I feel like I need to double up on my blood pressure meds everytime I go to a big city (except Vegas...).
As someone who lived in Vegas for 5 years, I don't blame you LOL

I hate driving there to this day. Not the worst city I have driven in (that easily goes to Berkeley/San Francisco), but nothing like going down Fort Apache and realizing you're on the wrong Fort Apache because they don't connect.
 
  • Thread Starter
ttltrashmammal
Member
Mike1995 said:
Petsmart is a disgrace and a joke for everything live or not. I to to my lfs and I can buy 99% of the stuff petsmart sells for sometimes as low as half the price. On everything. I went to petsmart one time for cat litter for my cat, $30. I went to my lfs, $15 for the exact same product and size.
I once went to look for a fluval heater at petsmart. $65 for a 300w. Nothing fancy. Just your normal standard heater. I went to my lfs, same exact product for $30. My lfs even has titanium heaters that aren't $65. Filters. I went to petsmart for a filter one time. An aquaclear 20. $50. I walked out. Went to my lfs, $26 for the exact same product. so as you can see, petsmart runs thier prices up high for no reason at all.
I won't buy petsmart fish. Ever. I don't even need to explain why.
Once, I saw they had a trio of guinea pigs in a plastic tote, with the lid closed shut, no holes for them to breathe. I came back the next day to see if they corrected it, nope. Poor things were near dead. I gave the store manager an ear full.
I will never stop foot in a petsmart again as long as I live.
This!!! The regional manager emailed me the next day after my review basically grovelling and begging at my feet. Maybe Karens know what they're doing sometimes xD

(also if you dont mind sawdust or the smell of wood instead of ammonia I'd look into pine pellets for cat litter- $5 for a 40 lb bag at my local Atwoods store, but its pretty cheap anywhere. Normally used for horse bedding! I have a YT video that explains the pros and cons/how, if you're interested ^^)
 
Pariah
Member
zorianak said:
As someone who lived in Vegas for 5 years, I don't blame you LOL

I hate driving there to this day. Not the worst city I have driven in (that easily goes to Berkeley/San Francisco), but nothing like going down Fort Apache and realizing you're on the wrong Fort Apache because they don't connect.
Vegas is our home away from home. We were actually supposed to be in Vegas right now, but thanks to coronavirus, we were forced to cancel. It was supposed to be our daughter's first vacation (she's 6). We aren't really gamblers, but the shows, the food, architecture and crazy people you meet can't be beat. No point if we can't go to shows and get kicked out of the buffets. I've driven there as well. Screw that. Makes Columbus seem tame.
 
zorianak
Member
Pariah said:
Vegas is our home away from home. We were actually supposed to be in Vegas right now, but thanks to coronavirus, we were forced to cancel. It was supposed to be our daughter's first vacation (she's 6). We aren't really gamblers, but the shows, the food, architecture and crazy people you meet can't be beat. No point if we can't go to shows and get kicked out of the buffets. I've driven there as well. Screw that. Makes Columbus seem tame.
And no transit at that - at least in SF I could always just take muni if I needed to and read a book.

But you're right to avoid it right now - several of my siblings and longtime friends live out there and the outbreak is bad. ****, we lost Roy (from Siegfried & Roy) to COVID

In any case, can bump out since I just threw this on a tangent, haha. It's still more-or-less my hometown (though, Arkansas/Louisiana are more my "home state" - spent most of childhood there, but went to high school and first few years of college in LV).
 
  • Thread Starter
ttltrashmammal
Member
Pariah said:
That's the only way to go for us. We live in a town of 3,000 and that is one of the biggest places we've ever lived. I do appreciate being able to drive an hour and a half to Columbus for things, but I feel like I need to double up on my blood pressure meds everytime I go to a big city (except Vegas...).
That's understandable, especially when its an emergency and you need something fast, or a store won't ship to you. Plus shipping fish online is expensive and slightly iffy. Big cities are veeery stressful tbh- anytime we go to one my anxiety spikes so much I come close to passing out.

NBettas83 said:
I liked how you said, "tore a new one into PetSmart's page".
That made me laugh.
Lol I mean, they asked for it If they ask, I shall deliver.

zorianak said:
I prefer to go to my local pet store instead - Denny's Pet World. The staff in the fish area are incredibly knowledgeable, and the manager there and I like to swap photos of our tanks. If anything, it helps support the local economy - which right now, is being hammered pretty hard by COVID. On top of that, they've been extremely forthcoming about supply chain challenges and have helped me get things I otherwise haven't been able to find from the hits to the economy.

Honestly the only reason I go to PetNo anymore is because its within walking distance and I'm desperate for cat/dog food. I did buy my betta from them from a fresh shipment, but only after I learned a staff member walking by had named him Prince Bubblegum. My 36G tank came from PetDumb, and I honestly wish I had waited and purchased something other than a **** TopFin.

So I guess, my unsolicited $.02: shop at your local pet stores. They're considered essential, so they're open, but they're suffering.
We're going to start going to our local one now. I'll go to PetNo for API tests/ conditioners if needed, but other than that I'd rather drive the 40 minutes.

zorianak said:
As someone who lived in Vegas for 5 years, I don't blame you LOL

I hate driving there to this day. Not the worst city I have driven in (that easily goes to Berkeley/San Francisco), but nothing like going down Fort Apache and realizing you're on the wrong Fort Apache because they don't connect.
Oh no- At least all of the same roads here connect. That must be a nightmare to drive through.

Pariah said:
Vegas is our home away from home. We were actually supposed to be in Vegas right now, but thanks to coronavirus, we were forced to cancel. It was supposed to be our daughter's first vacation (she's 6). We aren't really gamblers, but the shows, the food, architecture and crazy people you meet can't be beat. No point if we can't go to shows and get kicked out of the buffets. I've driven there as well. Screw that. Makes Columbus seem tame.
Thats fair, especially when a lot of the main attractions for Vegas are closed due to the pandemic. OK opened too early and now we're suffering ^^'

zorianak said:
And no transit at that - at least in SF I could always just take muni if I needed to and read a book.

But you're right to avoid it right now - several of my siblings and longtime friends live out there and the outbreak is bad. ****, we lost Roy (from Siegfried & Roy) to COVID

In any case, can bump out since I just threw this on a tangent, haha. It's still more-or-less my hometown (though, Arkansas/Louisiana are more my "home state" - spent most of childhood there, but went to high school and first few years of college in LV).
This whole thread is based on tangents xD Whether targeted at stores or at cities, doesnt matter lol

(I think I replied to everyone? Sorry, was headin back home)
 

Latest threads

Top Bottom