Storage Tank - Too Much? 10 Gallon Tank

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by AlexAlex, Dec 5, 2012.

1. A

AlexAlex Well Known Member Member

I have decided to pull one of my 10 Gallon Tanks out and use it. I want to kind of re-do my 20 Gallon with other things so I wanted to know if I transfer what I have in the 20 Gallon to the 10 Gallon (some of it) if it would be too much.

The following would be the stock of the 10 Gallon:

8 Neon Tetras
    2 African Dwarf Frogs

And something for Algae, but can't figure out what... I think I have a little bit of room left for a bottom feeder of some kind, so suggestions are welcome on that.

Thank you, Folks.

Alex :)

2. Matt B

Matt B Well Known Member Member

Some people will disagree but imo the neons would be fine in a 10g. I have no experience with dwarf frogs but understand they are poor competitors for food. For algae, a nerite would be good. As far as bottom feeders dwarf or pygmy cories may work but you'll get varying answers as to their suitablility for a 10g. Personally, I would go for ghost shrimp to clean up and hang out on the bottom.

3. monkeypie102

monkeypie102 Well Known Member Member

I think that sounds good to me... though besides snails I am not sure what other kind of bottom feeder would fit in a 10g... maybe pygmy cories?

Ninja'd :) I didn't think about ghost shrimp... 5-6 would help keep the tank clean also :) though they suck as algae eaters xD

4. Jaysee

Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

I would absolutely go shrimp over fish for the bottom in a 10.

5. OP
    OP
    A

I may scrap the Frog idea. It was a thought. I love them, but they are hard to feed and keep well, etc.

On the Neons, I already have those and will just be moving them. I like Cory's and I like the Albinos the best as they would look really cool with a black substrate, but from what I read they would not do as well in a 10 Gallon tank.

Pygmy Corys would be cool if they came in different colors. And as far as shrimp, I've never been a fan of them. Though, ghost shrimp would probably look really cool with a black substrate. Hmmm.

Maybe 4 Albino Corys and the Neons, then that's it?

6. Matt B

Matt B Well Known Member Member

I wouldn't do them, normally they're aeneus which are built like tanks, a 10g is just too small. Ghost shrimp are really cool imo, I have black sand and backgrounds in all my tanks and the shrimp look great and are really fun to watch imo.

7. Lucy

Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

I wouldn't do cories in a 10g.

They'd be much happier in something bigger with a larger shoal.
    You'll find their level of activity much greater. At least I did.

Why scrap the frog idea?
    Scrap the neons and just do ADF's :)

They're awfully cute and entertaining!

8. L

LyleB Well Known Member Member

I have 8 Neons and 6 Pygmy Corys along with a Mystery Snail and a Nerite in a 10 gal. The Neons will be moving to a 29 gal soon. They do seem kinda cramped in the 10 gal. and would be more fun to watch with more room to swim.

The Pygmy Corys seem to like the 10 gal fine. I may leave the Corys and and snails in the 10 gal once the Neons are moved out and get larger Corys for the 29 gal. Not sure on this yet.

Just a caution, if you go with the Pygmys, put a pre-filter on your filter intake. I lost two of them the first night when they got sucked into and caught in the intake. They are pretty tiny. (guess they could have died then got sucked in, but all their brethren were healthy and happy)

Good luck, 10 gal is kinda tough to populate responsibly. I've decided to convert mine to a Betta home.

9. OP
    OP
    A

Could I do the ADF's with a Betta, or is that not recommended?

I do have a friend that would take the Neons, if worse comes to worst (however you spell that.. lol).

10. OP
    OP
    A

I used the AqAdvisor for some revisions. How about this:

1 Betta (Male preferably)
    4 African Dwarf Frogs
    6 Pygmy Corys

They seemed to all work in that, which I know it's just an estimation of what COULD work.

11. monkeypie102

monkeypie102 Well Known Member Member

A lot of people look down on betta being with other aquatic critters... I however have only owned 1 betta that never got along with anything but snails... so I say you can give it a try and just have a plan b if something goes wrong...

12. L

LyleB Well Known Member Member

I have no experience with frogs at all, so cannot comment on that.

I'm hoping the Pygmys will work with a Betta. From what I've read, most of the time they should be fine, but it depends on the Betta.

I'll be keeping a close eye on mine if and when I try it and be ready to rescue the Pygmys if the Betta doesn't like them. I could easily move them to the 29 as well.

13. kinezumi89

kinezumi89 Fishlore VIP Member

If you keep a betta with frogs, you may come home one day and find your frog's leg in the betta's mouth :p I wouldn't do it. Bettas have teeth and frogs have no self defense, coupled with poor vision.

14. OP
    OP
    A

Ugh.... It's always something to keep from something else... lol

Maybe I should go with all Frogs! Haha

I'm thinking maybe two Bettas with a divider (one where they can't see one another)?

15. Lucy

Or the bettas tail in the frog's mouth.
    If it smells like food or is moving they are apt to lunge at it.

While adf's do not have teeth that wouldn't prevent the betta tail from tearing.

I've never kept the two together but others have.
    Some successful. Some not.

16. OP
    OP
    A

Opinions on a Crystal White Halfmoon Betta?

I found one in my local LFS, but it's not cheap! But, it would be so worth it!

17. OP
    OP
    A

I have been researching things like no tomorrow. I REALLY want a Betta now. I could house 4 ADF's in the 10 Gallon (or more). Then, with my 29 Gallon, I have 8 Neons with 3 Otos. This is a page I found. Could my dream be possible (Betta housed with Neons as stated below)?

After doing some more researching and asking around, a Betta (with close eyes on the tank) should be fine with the Neons and Otos. I'll probably use the 10 Gallon for about 4-6 ADF's.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 6, 2012
  18. Lucy

Four adf's in a 10g is plenty.
    A couple of words of advice.
    Get them from the same store at the same time.
    If you don't you'll need to Q any new frogs for at least 2 months before adding them to existing frogs.
    This may put a strain on the cycle so very frequent water changes might be needed.
    Keep an eye on the parameters.
    Adf's are very sensitive to toxins.

Neons can be nippy little fish.
    I'm not a big fan of bettas with other fish anyway.

When searching for info be sure to not just pick out the info you like.
    Take it all into consideration.

19. OP
    OP
    A

I absolutely agree with you, Lucy.

I had two ADF's before, but died quickly. That was when I didn't know much about them. Now that I do, I'd love to have a few.

On the Betta being in with the Neons - I will make sure to keep a very close eye on it. I have a 5 Gallon Fish tank for my desk at home running just in case I have issues with it being housed in the same tank as the Neons.

On the research, I read everything I can possibly find. Most of the time, I go with the majority and especially what is noted in the forum here. I even try to research old threads here to see if I can find similar questions or curiosities, etc.

Thanks for the advice and suggestions. :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice