Stopping by the LFS

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by MindTravel3r, Mar 20, 2010.

1. MindTravel3r

MindTravel3r Valued Member Member

I stopped by the Pet Land five minutes up the road to pick up a PH test kit today. When I went to pay, the kid that worked there asked me about my tank. How big is it? What do I have in it. I told him that I don't have anything in it yet, and that I am doing a fishless cycle. He replied by reaching out to shake my hand and said in a very excited tone, "I have never met anyone that has ever done a fishless cycle come in here before. Where did you hear about it?" I told him about FishLore. I must admit I was surprised that an LFS employee knew about a fishless cycle and was so positive about it. It was really cool.

30 minutes later, I was walking to my car from the grocery store in the same shopping center and a family was walking out to their car with a fish in a bag, and an new 10 gal aquarium and assorted accessories.

Go figure...

2. Butterfly

Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

Just because he knows about fishless cycling doesn't mean he's able to refuse to sell fish for a brand new tank.
    carol

3. OP
    OP
    MindTravel3r

MindTravel3r Valued Member Member

You are right, of course--he couldn't refuse, and I certainly don't feel anything negative toward the kid working at the store. I just felt disappointment. It would be cool to see a chain store that went above and beyond in terms of communicating information . Folks often start there and then search out boards like this one once they run into trouble. Seems like this is a business problem that would be ripe for solving.

4. Butterfly

Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

I totally agree with you and eventually a store that was knowledgeable enough to tell people about cycling tanks would make up for sales lost by having trusting repeat customers.
    Carol

5. m

mosin360 Well Known Member Member

For a 'maybe'..... Maybe they have another tank and have seeded media ready to go? Yeah I know.... maybe. :D

6. LyndaB

LyndaB Fishlore Legend Member

I remember when I worked in retail, and my boss was forever telling me to "do the hard sell". I told her that I didn't like to be approached that way and so I wouldn't do it to others. Needless to say, I didn't last long in retail. :;dk

I'm sure when a family goes in to these chain stores, they go by the old rule, "the customer is always right". Sad but true.

We went to WalMart over the weekend just because I wanted to "check out" the fish department. We'd never visited it before. And the tanks were so foul I chased down the department manager and read him the riot act. He had sick fish in community tanks, an empty "hospital" tank, the algae was an inch thick on the glass and gravel, etc. He felt bad about it though. He said they just don't give him the time that he needs to maintain all the tanks. He said he's complained about it and he actually told me that he'd appreciate me calling 800-WalMart and making my own complaint. I did like that. But still, I left the store with a heavy heart. :-\

When you go into our LFS, which is a fish only store, to inquire about a specific fish, they shoot various questions at you. What's the size of your tank? What other fish do you have in it? I love 'em! :happy0064:

Last edited: Mar 24, 2010
  7. Jaysee

Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

They could have had a bottle of TSS in there too.

Let's hope

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice