Stopped a Walmart sale today!

blkdeath75

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
So we were at Walmart....AGAIN.....and like I do every trip there I can't help swinging by the old fish area. While looking a saw a couple and their kids looking at the little nano 2.5's and 5's setups. I told him if he was looking for a decent price Petco had a $1 per gallon sale going. He thanked me and began asking if I was familiar with fish......I told him I'm getting there but know more now then I did just a few months ago.

He told me his kids had a goldfish in a 5 gallon and it died after lasting a couple years and they were looking at a new tank and a cool "dragon fish" that was in one of the tanks next to me. I told him unfortunately that thing would grow pretty big and a 5 gallon tank or 10 for that matter may not be enough, also even goldfish were too much for anything under a 30 or 40(I have never kept but I figured the higher number I shot him the better)because they are such dirty fish. I also told him the fish Walmart sells will die 9 out of 10 times within the first week or two because nobody takes care of them.

Basically by the time I was done they were thanking me for the help and walking away from the "fish section". For all I know they could have waited for me to walk away and circled back buying anyway, but I felt I did my best to sway them from buying at the fish killing superstore(not that Petco is by any means the best but a far cry from them lol).

Elodea

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Was the dragon fish a dragon goby? I doubt it was an arowana, and there aren't many other options.

blkdeath75

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Someone posted about these fish not too long ago now being available at Walmart. My guess was Dragon Goby but they only had it labeled as "Dragon". I'll goggle it to see if a pic matches.

blkdeath75

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Here's what they were, got this off of a link to Aquariacentral.com forums:

jerilovesfrogs

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
eww, why would anyone want a dragon goby? a dragon scale betta maybe......

but good job on trying to help a clueless person

youngstermatt

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Good job! Walmart is the absaloot worst store to buy fish from, it's baisicly a death sentence to anything that gets shipped there. I feel very ashaimed though, I didn't have a lot of money so, I bought a can of tetra min 3 in 1 fish food, I should have given the money to support in my oppinion one of the best small fish shops in the U.S., they feed there fish daily, keep them with live plants (exept the full grown oscars), and will not let you buy a fish that won't be good for you or your aquarium.

Skeletor

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
blkdeath75 said:
I also told him the fish Walmart sells will die 9 out of 10 times within the first week or two.
I disagree with that statement. I am not trying to defend walmart by any means, but I have had the best luck with fish from there. I had some goldfish in a 10 gallon tank for about 4 years.

Now my local wally world no longer sells fish so I go to a petco not far away, and no real complaints yet.

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Skeletor said:
I disagree with that statement. I am not trying to defend walmart by any means, but I have had the best luck with fish from there. I had some goldfish in a 10 gallon tank for about 4 years.

Now my local wally world no longer sells fish so I go to a petco not far away, and no real complaints yet.
to FishLore!
Many times fish will "live' in an inappropriately sized tank but they won't thrive or get to their natural size. The 10 gallon tank should have been very crowded after 4 years.
again

Carol

jenste

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Skeletor said:

Unfortunately....your ten gallon was quite inadequate for the fish you kept....you said "some goldfish" - I am going to assume that's plural!

Remember....just because it is SURVIVING, it does not mean it is THRIVING....for any type of pet you should aim to give it at least the basic humane requirements - which means adequate space, clean water, food etc

Skeletor

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I know that the 10 gallon was not big enough for goldfish, but at the time i was about 10 years old and just starting out. I have now have 2 goldfish in a 55 gallon along 3 other fish. I realize that the 55 is also to small for them, but hey its better then the ten right. I am working on building a bigger tank, about 150 gallon for the same fish.

I apologize if i upset anyone with my last post.

crazychemist_123

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I love my dragon goby!!!!!!!!!!!!! He is so fun to watch! Don't think "why would anyone want a dragon goby" until you have owned one!

bolivianbaby

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
crazychemist_123 said:
I love my dragon goby!!!!!!!!!!!!! He is so fun to watch! Don't think "why would anyone want a dragon goby" until you have owned one!
It's funny you said that. I've been tempted to set up a brackish tank so I can have a dragon goby;D I think they're pretty cool.

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads