stop nipping and jumping

1. kribensis keeper Member Member

i have a 6 month old labrador and she keeps jumping on people and we dont like it when she jumps on us and other people how can we stop her from jumping

and the other one is to stop her from bitting/nipping some times she bites me and my family but she only does it when we do something she does not like or when we are not paying attention to her she some times also does it just for the sake of it but when she does it just for the sake of it she jumps barks and bites you we have done these thing to try and stop her smaking softly on the bum or taping her softly on the nose, we also yell no! to her and we have also tried squirting her in the face with a quick small spray of water some of theses kind of help but dont stop her deffinently also she sometime bites me around the feet but she is slowly stoping this now when she does all this she is not trying to be aggresive because she does not show her teeth and when she bites she lets go when you say no and she does not draw blood when she bites she is also a very loyal dog as she knows how to sit, shake,role over and play dead and she loves people when i take her for a walk if she sees smeone that she does not know she waggs her tale and it is like she is on a happy pile 24/7 and when we come back home from school and work she is so happy and she loves other dogs so obviosly she is not doing to be aggresive or hurt any body because she is a very kind dog and loves evryone

2. space traveler Initiate Member

Seems like you have a very playful lab. I have trained many dogs (my cousin is a K9 trainer for drugs,explosives,cadavers,etc in the Air Force.) The best way to train any dog,especially the smarter breeds, is to establish your authority and displeasure at what they are doing.

1st don't ever hit your dog,you want them to trust you.
    2nd establish eye contact while reprimanding/teaching them
    3rd you have to be consistant.You cant let them do it once or twice,then be punished for it later.
    4th practice establishing dominance over the dog. Show him/her you are the Alpha dog. you do this by making them sit or lie down at your feet for no reason. not as a punishment,nor to be petted. make them sit or lie down,then ignore them.When they get up,immediately make them sit or lie down. When they are sitting or lying,roll them on their back (it's a sign of submission to the alpha dog) getting even a trusting dog to lay on his back on command isn't as easy as you might think,that's why you gently,but forcefully roll them over while maintaining eye contact.Always maintain eye contact until the dog looks away while performing any training/discipline.

Follow these few steps repeatedly/consistantly and you can train a dog to wash your dishes (ok small exxageration)

3. bolivianbaby Fishlore Legend Member

+1 Excellent advice!

In regards to the jumping. When does she do it? When people come in, any time they start playing with her, when?

If she'd doing it when people come in, put her in a sit/stay before they come in. Make sure she's calm before she's allowed to greet people. I corrective collar and leash will make it easier until she gets the idea. A sharp "no" with a quick correction using the collar will let her know when she's showing poor behavior.

When she uses her mouth on you, she's correcting you. That's disrespectful. The information that space traveler provided will definitely help with that.

Never pull away when she puts her mouth on you. Tell her know and wait for her to release. You can also "bite" her using your hand. I've found this works well on the neck, grabbing her muzzle (gently) will also help her understand you're alpha, not her.

Hope this helps.

4. Tigerlily Well Known Member Member

At six months your Lab is still a puppy. Labs tend to take a bit longer to mature mentally. This does not sound to me, based on what you've written, that this is a dog trying to be top dog. Both behaviors sound as though she is seeking your attention. Puppies can be exhausting. It's tempting to "let sleeping dogs lie" so to speak. But it's worth the effort to notice, praise and reward appropriate behaviors and give as little attention as possible for inappropriate.

My golden rule with puppies is "A tired puppy is a good puppy." The appropriate amount of physical exercise (not within an hour before or two hours after meals please), mentally stimulating toys and games are good for your puppy and the bond you are building. It doesn't sound as though your girlie is doing anything abnormal for her age or breed. With the right training from you she should be growing out of those behaviors within the next few months.

I like replacing an undesirable behavior with an incompatible behavior. If she has a solid "sit" and/or "down" I would use that command when you see her even "thinking about" jumping or in situations when you know she is most likely to jump. If she doesn't have a solid sit and down work on them when she is relaxed and reward her with praise and a treat. Some people use pieces of the pup's allotted meal as training rewards. Regular training sessions are very valuable in that the pup learns what pleases you and will love the interaction with you.

Have her on a collar and lead if she is prone to jump on visitors and be extra vigilant of her body language, especially when you are out walking. She may not bite anyone but if she were to even accidentally scratch someone with a tooth or knock them down you could possibly be held liable. As I understand it, parts of Australia can be rather reactive to dog related injuries.

She should have started getting her adult teeth a couple months ago. Any chance she is still teething? Was she from a singleton litter or separated from her dam before 7-8 weeks of age? When puppies bite sometimes a high pitched yelp and turning your back (disengaging from them) will work. Other pups, like my working bred bouvier puppies, continue regardless. If that's the case with your girlie you might try offering a toy when she begins biting. If you plan on field work with her you will probably not want to "play tug" as this is not compatible with the soft mouth required of a retriever.

Did you get her from a breeder? If so, can you contact the breeder and ask for advice? Different lines often have different traits and the breeder may be able to give you some insight. If you didn't get her from a breeder you might consider training classes. I sent a puppy to Australia (near Canberra) earlier this year. The woman she belongs to is a training instructor. If you need help locating an organization/trainer near you I will ask her for advice. I also know someone heavy into dog training in WA if you are over that way. There are also numerous websites for a training philosophy called "Nothing In Life Is Free". NILIF works well for strong minded dogs, in my experience.

Good luck. It sounds as though overall you have a wonderful Lab. The sporting breeds are generally smart and somewhat independent thinkers (necessary in hunting and trialing situations). I love their problem solving abilities and desire to work with their person.

5. gremlin Well Known Member Member

I agree - labs are very "mouthy" dogs. My sister has a lab mix that is still very mouthy. She taught him to carry a toy around - his favorite is a little plastic squeaky ball. If they have a toy in their mouth, they can't bite you. Every time they get excited, or in a situation where they might bite, give them a toy and say "get the ball/rope/toy/whatever" and let them play and chew on that instead of you. When they nip at you, yelp as if you were another puppy that just got injured and leave the area. Then, when you come back in the room in a minute or two, tell them to get their toy and let them hold/chew on the toy. They usually learn pretty quick that biting you makes you go away, while playing nice means they get attention.

As for the jumping, I had major issues with that with Mysti (the one in my avatar). She jumped on everyone! Nothing I tried worked for the longest time. Finally, I got a hula hoop and held that so in order for her to jump on me, she had to jump through the hoop. Then, I moved the hoop farther to the side and would tell her to jump. She finally learned that she could jump through the hoop, but not on people. She still got to jump, but she doesn't jump on people anymore. Teaching "leave it" also works. If she started to go up to someone and it looked like she might be going to jump on them, I would tell her "leave it" then would have her do a couple of "tricks" - sit, down, shake, roll over, jump (through her hoop), etc. It has been a long time since she has jumped on anyone.

Good luck with your training! whichever method you choose . . . just be consistent, that is the A #1 Most Important thing. If it is a rule, it is always a rule - not just sometimes.

6. kribensis keeper Member Member

thanks guys