Advertising

1. Amazon PRIME Day is today!
    Stock up on aquarium goodies!

No PRIME membership? No problem, sign up for a 30 Day Free Prime Trial to take advantage of the PRIME day sale prices!

Dismiss Notice

Stop my Rainbow Shark from fin nipping?!

1. J

Joshopatamus New Member Member

So I recently set up a new 10g tank with an iridescent shark, a zebra loach, a rainbow shark, and a boesemani rainbowfish. Unfortunately, the shark has been nipping the boesemani's fins any chance he gets, ignoring the other fish. Is there a way to stop this? Should I get more rainbowfish, or take the shark back? I would like your guys' input :) as a side question, why is my zebra loach hiding so much? Does he require a shoal of more loaches to be social? I'd be grateful to get any of these answered!

2. Coradee

Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

Welcome to Fishlore.
    I'm sorry to say your problems are being caused because your tank is to small for the fish you have.
    Red tail sharks get to around 6" & are territorial & get aggressive as they get older especially towards similar shaped fish, zebra loach are social fish & should be kept in groups, boesmani's also should be kept in groups & are also too big for your tank.
    Iridescent sharks aka pangasius are tankbusters getting to around 4feet given the right conditions.
    I suggest you rehome all the fish & look into fish that would be suitable for your tank.
    A 10 gallon does limit what you could have but there are fish that would be suitable such as some of the micro rasboras, sparkling gourami, a Betta for instance. Have a look in your Lfs & note down fish you like the look of & post here & we can help advise you

3. junebug

junebug Fishlore Legend Member

Hi there and welcome! You've come to the right place for help with your tank.

Unfortunately, you need to either get a much larger tank ASAP, or take all of those fish back to the store where you got them. The loach and rainbow each need a larger group to be happy. The Rainbow shark is going to get rather large and even more aggressive, and the iridescent shark, if that's really what it is, will get to be 4 feet long and generally, if kept in captivity, should be kept in groups.

Here's a profile for the iridescent shark: http://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/pangasionodon-hypophthalmus/

I would suggest doing a bunch of research on the fish you have and determining if you will be able to meet their needs. If not, take them back to the store or rehome them and purchase some fish that are suitable to your tank.

4. OP
    OP
    J

Joshopatamus New Member Member

A larger tank is the more favored option seeing as I would love to keep these fish! What's size do you believe would be able to house them comfortably?

Sent from my XT907 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

5. junebug

junebug Fishlore Legend Member

Did you read the link I provided on the Iridescent Shark? They grow to 4 feet long and require a school of 6. For a single specimen, just in terms of bioload and swimming space, you'd need a 4,000 gallon tank.

Advertising