Stockings on filter in take...?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquarium Builds' started by fallonrhea, Aug 4, 2015.

1. f

fallonrhea Valued Member Member

So I put stockings (like dress tights) on the filter intake so my ghost shrimp don't get sucked in the filter. The problem is the current is so slow from the build up on the stockings. There is some water dripping out but I'm worried it won't work properly. Should i remove the stocking? Can I just poke some small holes in them? Am I doing it wrong? Haha. Any advice would be helpful. :)

Sent from my SM-G900T using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

@Anders247 would you know anything about this perhaps?

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 4, 2015
  2. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

You can use a sponge prefilter instead....

3. JoyToTheFishes

JoyToTheFishes Valued Member Member

I have been wondering the same thing, mind you.. I do have a sponge filter instead, lol

But, don't they usually mean more like nylon types than actual tights? Something with a looser mesh than cotton tights anyways?

Or am I possibly messing up my fashion?

4. OP
    OP
    f

I don't have the finances to go out and buy more equipment. I do want the current to slow down a bit but I'm not sure if this is making it so my filter isn't even working the way it needs to.

The tights, or whatever I'm using, are a pretty loose mesh. I do t think they're stretched out enough though. Maybe that's my issue. I shall try using less of the fabric I suppose.

5. LeoDiaz

LeoDiaz Fishlore VIP Member

How about using this instead?  
    Its easy to clean just turn of the filter and rinse in some old tank water. And when i used it didnt really effect to flow of the filter.

6. el337

el337 Fishlore Legend Member

I have the same ones and they're great. Sometimes I don't even have to clean it because my guppies/shrimp come over and nibble on the leftover food/waste. And they're pretty affordable too.

7. LeoDiaz

LeoDiaz Fishlore VIP Member

Exactly, my fish fry will do the same think they will nibble on the food stuck to it.

8. OP
    OP
    f

That's what I'm trying to make. I remade it so I will see how it does. Thanks guys!

9. f2002

f2002 Valued Member Member

I have a sponge pre filter and basically all my cherry shrimps hang out there eating the dead plant debris. They love it there.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice