Stocking? 2 Gallon Tank 

redsoxfan320

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I asked the other day but didn't realize it was two gallons. What is my max stock? It has an under gravel filter, blue gravel, and a fake plants. I am open to most ideas. I currently have my betta in the tank, but I plan on moving him back to his vase because I like the way he looks swimming around his tall bamboo. Please only recommend fish that will be truly happy. I don't want to have a single tetra in the tank. I already made that mistake in my 10 gallon. Please try to stay away from stocking ideas involving bettas unless it would be a tank mate for my betta. Thanks

redsoxfan320

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I asked the other day but didn't realize it was two gallons. What is my max stock? It has an under gravel filter, blue gravel, and a fake plants. I am open to most ideas. I currently have my betta in the tank, but I plan on moving him back to his vase because I like the way he looks swimming around his tall bamboo. Please only recommend fish that will be truly happy. I don't want to have a single tetra in the tank. I already made that mistake in my 10 gallon. Please try to stay away from stocking ideas involving bettas unless it would be a tank mate for my betta. Thanks

Kupcake

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I wouldnt recommend anything for a 2 gal tank. A betta would be ok there, but its really the bare minimum for even a betta. Sorry.

redsoxfan320

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I have heard of having an adf or two guppys. What do you think about those options. Also I have heard of shrimp or snails.

jetajockey

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
2 gallons is really limiting, maybe some inverts? You could probably get away with some sort of nano fish but there are a few potential problems. First off, even the tiny fish love space and the ability to swim around, this quells a lot of aggression and territorial issues, and honestly the fish just seem to thrive in larger tanks. Secondly, keeping the water parameters and cycle stable in such a small tank proves difficult, if not impossible in some cases.

I would go with inverts myself since they have a very low bioload and are fun to watch.

*edit* ADF is a possibility, I've never kept one so I really can't comment from personal experience. Guppies are too large IMO. Take care!

redsoxfan320

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Okay, I am new to fish keeping. What are nano fish? Thanks

jetajockey

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I meant just some of the smaller species, microrasboras and some danios for example. There are several species of fish that top out under an inch long and work well in smaller tanks. However, the ones off the top of my head are all schooling fish so would require several at a time, and I wouldn't really stock them in anything smaller than a 5gallon.

Dennis posted a few of these on another thread recently, let me get the link

scroll down to post 11

redsoxfan320

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Would they be happy with 2-4 of them

Kupcake

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I would NOT suggest ADFs, they do well in pairs or more. A 5 gal would be the minimum for an ADF tank, and that is really small.

Charlemagne

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Maybe you could get some cherry shrimp and/or some snails? I'd really recommend keeping the betta in the 2 gallon. My bettas are so much happier in filtered heated tanks, even though a 2 gal is a little small for them, they do fine in them.

P.S.
Undergravel filters are not very effective, and kind of a pain. You have to tear the whole tank apart to clean them. Wal-Mart has some little 1-3 gallon filters for $10. You might want to get one of those. Good luck! ;D

redsoxfan320

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
And Thanks

redsoxfan320

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I actually so that filter today. I had my betta in my community tank and he didn't link the filter because of the current. But I guess that is a weaker current. Would the betta eat cherry shrimp. I know he might eat ghost shrimp as a snack. I am jumping a head, when you said snails and shrimp did you mean with a betta or without a betta. Also Does anyone have experiance3 with lucky bamboo.

redsoxfan320

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Anyone??

angelfish220

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
snails and shrimp without a betta in my opinion.

If you want you could do a crazy nano tank. Here's a few links

Kupcake

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
You couldnt do a snail and a betta in a 2 gal. Certian snails (apple snails, p. briggesii) have a huge bioload for their size (they are dirty buggers and they poo alot).

steed1172

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
betta don't belong is vases-flowers do.. sad but true.
and also bettas belong ALONE, so no tank mates.
as for 2 gallon stocking isn't much, most small fish prefer to be in groups, causing the need for a larger tank, or are VERY active swimmers/large waste producers, also causing the need for bigger tank.
if you like, you could try an invert tank, with shrimps and or snails.

angelfish220

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
There is no point making 2 identical threads.... It only clutters the forum. You have plenty of replies on the first thread, Why don't you stay there?

redsoxfan320

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started

*Hannah*

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
First off cycle your tank before you put anything in it. A 2 gallon tank is really small even for a betta fish. I would put the betta in the tank until you get a bigger tank (5 gallons or more). I highly recommend you don't put anything else in the tank, not even a snail. Once you get a 5 gallon tank (or more) you can put other things in there. I hope I helped.

Hannah

Kupcake

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
redsoxfan320 said:
What snails do you recommend. How about a mystery snail.
a mystery snail is a p. briggesii. Also, you shouldnt do shrimp and snails because the snail will eat everything that is meant for the shrimp.

A 2 gal is only big enough for a betta, that is pretty much it.

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads