60 Gallon Tank Stocking

Bonkers

The title everyone dreads from a beginner lol.

L 120cm W 41cm H 55cm

My juwel Rio 240 tank (complete with their standard heater and filter turns up tomorrow.
I have done hours of research after deciding I want an angelfish community tank. I fully understand how to clean and maintain this tank and I know to add fish slowly and not until the tank has cycled

I’m here to get help with/amend my stocking list and numbers.
*updated list*
2 angelfish
12 Corys
6 otos
10 cherry barbs (Iv read they’re less nippy)
12 harlequin raspas.

Is there still space in this tank?

I also like Bolivian/German Rams if they can fit in or be swapped with something. Do they get on with angelfish?

Finaly, kind of off topic is the black ghost knife fish. I love this fish but I think it grows a bit too big for this community tank?

I can also upgrade the filter if it’s not good enough.

the tank will also be planted. Not heavily but a fair few

FinalFins

with 120 cm of length I don't see why not make it 5 angelfish. Groups are better for angels.

Bolivians are better with angels, GBR simply need tanks built around them

Bonkers

Will have 5 not make them more aggressive and eat my schools? And if they pair could they start bullying each other?

4 angelfish
1 BR
8 Corys
12 otos
8 cherry barbs
8 harlequin raspas.

would you say that’s ‘near max’

FinalFins

Having 5 will actually diminish aggression since aggression is spread out in larger groups. in a pair one angel will become dominant and bully the other. If they pair they will obviously be aggressive during spawning so separation may be nessacary but thats the life of an angelfish keeper. I say either one or a group of angels.

Regarding schooling fish I would shrink the oto school as they eat tons of algae and I worry the algae getting starved. Add them last after 5-6 months and when the aquarium is mature.

I would also bump the cories to 12 and either one of the rasboras or barbs also up to 12.

Bonkers

Having 5 will actually diminish aggression since aggression is spread out in larger groups. in a pair one angel will become dominant and bully the other. If they pair they will obviously be aggressive during spawning so separation may be nessacary but thats the life of an angelfish keeper. I say either one or a group of angels.

Regarding schooling fish I would shrink the oto school as they eat tons of algae and I worry the algae getting starved. Add them last after 5-6 months and when the aquarium is mature.

I would also bump the cories to 12 and either one of the rasboras or barbs also up to 12.
Thanks.
I figured the decision to not have a pleco would mean I need more otos but I would actually like less so works for me. Cherry barbs and corys to 12 and 1 angelfish.

Can I have multiple Bolivian Rams with this?

FinalFins

You could have a group of 4..

BottomDweller

In this tank size I would go for 1 or 2 angelfish. Be aware that if the 2 angelfish pair off they could become aggressive towards other fish.

I would up the number of cories to 12 or so. Make sure you get a temperature compatible type of cory such as sterbai or bronze cories.

Bolivian rams prefer cooler water to angels so GBR would work best. I would probably go for a pair of GBR.

Bonkers

In this tank size I would go for 1 or 2 angelfish. Be aware that if the 2 angelfish pair off they could become aggressive towards other fish.

I would up the number of cories to 12 or so. Make sure you get a temperature compatible type of cory such as sterbai or bronze cories.

Bolivian rams prefer cooler water to angels so GBR would work best. I would probably go for a pair of GBR.
1 angelfish
2 gbr
12 corys
8 otos
15 cherry barbs
8 Harlequins

FinalFins

I'm personally a supporter of tanks being built around GBR not with GBR.

But anyways it looks good(besides^^). What species of cory are you looking at?

Bonkers

I don’t have to get GBR. I just want something else that’s good looking with the angel if I’m only having one.
There’s other cool looking fish but a lot of them don’t get on with angels Iv read.

I like sterbai corys. They stay small right?
I have purchased a slate pleco cave hoping the corys will like it but that was a bit of a stab in the dark as I’m new to this

FinalFins

Sterbai get like 2.2 inches or somewhere around there

Bonkers

Ok so I’m stocked and bioload looking fine.
I ended up with
2 blue marble angels
4 electric blue rams
14 cherry barbs
14 sterbai Cory
The latest addition is 6 harlequins but it’s a 240L so they look a bit lost.
Since it has got busier one of my angels (I believe they’re both male) has turned on the other angel and won’t let him leave the corner. I’m going to have to rehome one of them. When I do I’d also like to up the school of harlequins and maybe decrease the cherry barbs. But what about the electric blue rams? Is there enough room for more than 4? I have 1 pair but the other 2 won’t pair up yet.

FinalFins

I would keep it at 4 for now. You may have an odd number of males and females.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
60 Gallon Tank Stocking Juwel Rio 240
Replies
Views
KeenAquarist
  • Question
Replies
Views
andy305mia
  • Question
50 Gallon Tank Stocking Help!