Stocking??

1. LJC6780 Well Known Member Member

Ok so I've seen on here (and elsewhere) that 1 inch per gallon is a general rule of thumb ... i know certain fish need different environments and that doesn't always work. I currently have a 38 gal tall and would like to know if I can safely add any other fish ...

5 glo tetras
    5-6 guppies
    4 swordtails
    1 platy
    And I have several shrimp on the way
    3 red cherry
    3 yellow something and
    3 amano.
    We will see how many survive shipping.

I'd really like to get a few more platys or some danios or something but just wondering if I'm on the edge of overstocking or if I can add more and what would be best to add.

2. Anastasia Vedmedenko Initiate Member

That doesn't sound too bad! Of course, the guppies would produce a bunch of fry that would quickly overstock your tank unless you get all males. But if you keep all males, I think you could get away with adding a few danios if you do weekly water changes. I wouldn't add more than 2 platys since they poop SO MUCH! But that sounds like a gorgeous tank to me! I don't have as much experience with large tanks as many other people on this site, however, so you should wait for a second opinion. Good luck!

3. tyguy7760 Fishlore VIP Member

Do you know the dimensions of the tank? I would make sure all of the livebearers are male (they will interbreed) and I'm not sure I'd keep that many sword tails as they can get large and aggressive.

4. LJC6780 Well Known Member Member

21" from black rim to rim ... and 30" wide. Not sure how deep. I just remember that from measuring for the background.

I also use floramax bio gravel and live plants.

And at the advice of the fish store employee I was getting 2 f and 2 m swordtails ... but I'm fairly certain I have 1 m and 3 f. My platy is male and my guppies are 3 of each. I plan to rehome the fry or let nature take its course.

I really like the different colors in the tank. We have all different colored glo tetras. My guppies are also all different.

5. tyguy7760 Fishlore VIP Member

Ok just be ready for lots of babies. And the platies and swordtails can interbreed.

6. LJC6780 Well Known Member Member

I'm wondering if I could get by with a small school of celestial pearl danios also ... assuming I don't get overrun with fry ...

7. Lady Monster Well Known Member Member

Hold on... On another post today i was told they won't interbreed (after i mentioned that i heard they will interbreed but labor will be difficult for smaller fish to have too large of fry)

The fish were a molly and a platy, is this all livebearers or just the ones in this tank?

8. LJC6780 Well Known Member Member

Mollies and platys won't that I know of but sword tails and platys will as they are very closely related. A red wag swordtail is a cross breed of a red wagtail platy and a green swordtail or something ...

9. tyguy7760 Fishlore VIP Member

I know platies and swordtails can interbreed. A platy and molly can't that I'm aware of. The male would probably try but I don't think it's possible. I believe a guppy and molly can though

10. Lady Monster Well Known Member Member

Ok the first time i heard of the interbreeding was with a molly and a guppy. So that makes sense. Thanks for clarifying. I don't want to give bad advice :)