stocking

1. Samsam1 Initiate Member

New aquarium(15G) set up. did the nitrogen cycle for 4 weeks. Testing showed 0 ammonia and everything normal but showed it was acidic when I got it tested in the pet store(had kept a gold fish which died 2 weeks back (had treated it for ick and then did a 50% change when it died.) today. got 2 zebra danio and 1 red gold tuxedeo guppy (they were kept in the same tank in the pet store.) I got a small amazon sword plant and 2 moss balls in the tank. Any idea why the water is acidic and how to neutralize it? also how many more zebra danios can I add. can I add another schooling fish eg neon tetra in a few weeks time? can i add any bottom feeders to the tank later?
    thanks

2. superbutterfly12 Well Known Member Member

What size is this tank?
    You can use a pinch of baking soda to raise the pH, making it less acidic. Add some crushed coral to your gravel or filter is supposed to help too.

3. aliray Fishlore VIP Member

Before messing with your PH , What exactly is it? Most of your tetras prefer a softer more acidic PH. Welcome to the forum and glad you joined us. Alison:;hi2

4. Dragones5150918 Well Known Member Member

Before you mess with anything, I would suggest you test your GH and KH. Some fish stores have test kits, and can test it for you. Please post the exact results, plus your other peramaters (pH, ammonia, nitrate, and nitrite). If the store uses strips (which is cheeper) please find one that uses the liquid, and write down the numbers and post them. You may have an underlying problem of low KH. With out the exact numbers, it makes it rather difficult to make suggestions to help. If your using bottle water, you might be lacking the GH as well which will cause fish health issues.

5. JeffK Well Known Member Member

A standard 15 gal is 24"L x 12"W x 12"H so IMO a little small for zebra danios who like some room to move, but if you keep them, they should be in a group of 6. The guppy is fine - he could be your "centerpiece" if you decide to get some neons (get 6 of them as well).

6. Samsam1 Initiate Member

It is cubical so height is more
    Thanks for the suggestions.

7. Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

In that case I would rehome the danios, which need longer tanks.