stocking 20 Gallon Tank

1. Nick Della Rocca

Nick Della Rocca Valued Member Member

ok so my tank is just nearing it cycle. i have a 20h. witch is currently stocked with 4 danios, 2 neons, 2 dwarf orange crays, 2 julii coreys and dupposably 6 or 7 ghost shrimp but i only can find 1. i have 2 live plants 2 mossballs and a snail that hitched a ride. i have the stock aqueon filter rated for a 20+ and also a little diy filter canister on the bottom rated for a 10g. i know the corys and daniis need more freinds. what should i do

2. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

You only need two more danios. Not sure about the cories, but I think the crayfish will eat the ghost shrimp.

3. Coradee

Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

The corys (which are probably Trilineatus) should be in groups of 6+ as should the neons so I would up the numbers to those.
    I personally wouldn't put danios in less than a 3ft tank as they're such active swimmers & again they should be in groups of 6+.
    If you decided to rehome the danios you could have a larger school of neons
    If the crayfish you have are the Mexican dwarf variety they should be ok with the corys but I'd keep an eye out for any nipped fins as corys have no concept of territory & could upset the crays by bumbling into them

4. OP
    OP
    Nick Della Rocca

yes they are true mexican dwarfs. they all get along. unless i put a peace of zuchinni in. but i know cut it into tiny peaces and everyone gets there share. yes i figured the ghost shrimp would get eateni have no problem with that. just curous ad to how i should stock it. ill do corys and neons. i have 4 danios so thw neons will suffice. ill get 4 more coreys and 4 more neons. would i be overstocked?

5. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

Nope.

6. Coradee

No, your stocking will be fine

7. OP
    OP
    Nick Della Rocca

now for the coreys i know its just a catfish but would a oto work in the mix? and how many should i do at a time? 2 then wait a week or so and add 2 more?

8. Coradee

I wouldn't add oto's as they also need to be kept in groups & I think you'd be pushing the stocking a bit adding 6 of them