Stocking Important

1. Icey Initiate Member

Hello fishlore I need this quick. So yesterday my Pictis catfish died. And today I wanna restock. I have a austrailian rainbow left in the tank and I wanted to add 6 danios and 3 or 4 spotted catfish In my 14 gallon tank. Thankyou please hurry thankyou again.

2. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

Do you know why the pictus died? I wouldn't add anything new just yet in case whatever killed the pictus is still in the tank.
    When you do restock, 14 gallons isn't big enough for danios, they need more swimming space, you could have a group of trilineatus corys but at least 6 as they're a shoaling fish, you'd be stocked then.

3. Icey Initiate Member

Got it thankyou and about the danios I used to have 3 danios in the tank they died after my austrailian rainbow ate them (he did not like food bricks) I found their fins

4. Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

Uh.... what is a spotted catfish? There are many catfish with spots.

5. Icey Initiate Member

Danios and Cory's

Hi I am stocking and I would like to get 2 longfin zebra danios and 3 spotted Cory catfish in a 14 gallon tank with an austrailian rainbow please help hurry.

6. Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

Doesn't sound that bad.... Besides the danios...... they need a little more space.

7. Crissandra331 Member Member

14 gallon is kind of small for rainbow fish, their also best kept with 5 or more

I would test your tap water and use those parameters as a guide of maybe what fish would be suitable to stock depending on size and grouping.

If you have any interest in Shrimp usually they are good for small setups.

8. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

You've been replied to on your other thread

9. WiFi Well Known Member Member

The zebra Danios need a shoal of at least 5 fish and need wider spaces to swim, as they are very active. (Stressed out danios turn into fin nippers)

Corys need a shoal of at least 4 fish, and prefer sandy bottoms as their barbels are extremely delicate, gravel is sharp and jagged.

I'm not familiar with the Australian Rainbow fish, but I'd rethink your stocking a little bit, maybe substitute some Platy's or a shoal of tetras for your longfin zebra danios.

10. Crissandra331 Member Member

Icey I understand your new and very eager but rushing through research before buying a new fish is one of the worst habits you can acquire. it will bring you much more heartache and headache then it ever will bring excitement or glee.

Nothings more exciting then cycling a tank and getting fish but whats more rewarding is providing a balanced natural environment where your fish can feel at home and live a long healthy life. When you finally have that moment when you've gotten the tank and stock just right and your fish are swimming happily and showing natural behavior its more rewarding than any bagged fish that's replaced a dead one. They become a part of your life, apart of your family, you discover their individual personalities their dislikes and likes.

It's a really great thing when you find the right fish for the right set up, which is why I will always encourage a ridiculous amount of researching before shopping, every beginner and any expert will tell you what fools the LFS help can be. So please keep that in mind when searching for your next addition.

I would consider looking into some biotopes and planted tanks so you can get a REAL idea what a tank can look like. Not just those drab artificial plants. Aquariums can be breathtaking if you put your all into it :)

11. jdhef Moderator Moderator Member

I merged your two threads. Please start only one thread per subject