Stocking ?

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by ajpelz, Jan 1, 2013.

1. ajpelzValued MemberMember

I have a somewhat planted 29 gal. with 1 pearl gourami, 4 glowlight tetra, 4 bronze cory, 5 ghost shrimp, 1 platy, a 1.5 inch BN Pleco and a Half dollar size angelfish. I know that the angel will continue to grow and become king of the tank (right now the pearl is boss being in tank 2 years) but I am thinking of adding either 1 GBR or 4 more glowlight tetras?? Or 1 GBR and 1-2 more glowlight tetras?? Thoughts/suggestions?

TIA

2. Bettalover99Valued MemberMember

personally i go by the 1 inch per gallon rule (1 inch of fish) becareful of over crowding that sounds like a good amount however you should never have only 1 platy , they are schooling fish who do great in 2 or more and breed quite well to provide free babies for your tank. consider adding a couple more of those and maybe another pearl gourami, having only 1 of each kind makes fish lonely and believe it or not can cause illness. stress or depression/ i think you have enough tetras ... also i keep java ferns in my 2 gallons and they grow without me buying any specialty plant food! so thats an easy plant that reproduces, i have 5 when i originally bought 1 for only 5 dollars. good luck!...kylie

3. ajpelzValued MemberMember

Bump for more responses please.

I had 3 platys at one time and ended up giving two away because they never interacted with each other. Also, for some strange reason one just swam, against the current from the HOB for hours and hours... Very strange.

I am really wanting to add a GBR and 1-2 more glowlight tetras... AQAdvisor says this is doable filtration and stock wise,just wanted some input or other ideas in adding stock.

Thanks!!

4. Tigress HillWell Known MemberMember

Hello:;hi2

Personally, I wouldn't add another centerpiece such as the ram; you already have an angel & gourami. Speaking of which, observe the two carefully for any signs of elevated aggression.

You need to add to your tetra and cory schools anyway, so bump them up to 6.

AqAdvisor should be taken as a light guideline for planning your tank. It seems that if you have enough filtration you can stuff the tank full of fish (not recommended:D)

5. Bettalover99Valued MemberMember

Sorry if I sound dumb but what's gbr

6. JayseeFishlore LegendMember

german blue ram You'll learn the acronyms :)

7. Tigress HillWell Known MemberMember

German Blue Ram;)

:;nin2'd!

8. kinezumi89Fishlore VIPMember

I definitely wouldn't. Firstly the tank is overstocked as it is (assuming you fill out the schools properly), and cichlids and gouramis should not be kept together. Pearls also get huge. And that's the smallest size tank I would put a BN in.

I would choose either the pearl or the angel, fill out your schools to at least six each, and definitely not add another centerpiece. It's called a centerpiece because it's supposed to be the focal point of the tank; you already have two and are wanting to add a third.

9. ajpelzValued MemberMember

Thanks for all of the input. It is appreciated Sorry about the abbreviation. After hanging out here a while it is second nature. I've kept a close eye on the gourami and angel for any aggression and nothing so far. Any other suggestions??

10. ajpelzValued MemberMember

I think my pearl is full grown. She is a female and about 3.5-4 inches long 1.5-2 tall. I've had her almost 2 years and haven't noticed any significant growth in 6-8 months.

11. JayseeFishlore LegendMember

That's right.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice