Stocking

1. cameronpalte Member Member

Ok, so I have 1 julii leapord catfish, 4 moons, 1 swordtail, and 5 gold long fin zebra danios, 3 guppies in my 55g. Once it's done cycling (I made mistakes and lost ~13 fish and will prob lose more. I was wondering what fish I should add once it's done cycling.

2. pirahnah3 Fishlore VIP Member

It really more depends on what your looking to have in the tank?

I am a bit confused as to what a moon is thou.

Your bio load in the tank currently is not overly large and can accommodate quite a few more fish but it depends on what your really wanting.

3. Wendy Lubianetsky Well Known Member Member

I agree it really depends on how many fish survive the cycle and what you want to see in your tank.

4. jerilovesfrogs Fishlore VIP Member

moons are platies. it's some kind of weird, newish name for them. i refuse to call them moons though. haha.

5. pirahnah3 Fishlore VIP Member

Well now that makes sense....yeah not really but I'm with you in gonna call them platies still.

6. bolivianbaby Fishlore Legend Member

I would add 6 more julie cories,either remove the sword or the moons (to prevent hybrid babies which can be difficult to rehome, sell, or trade to an LFS), and add 5 more danios.

That's just what I would do. Hope this helps.

7. fighter55 Member Member

+1 bolivianbaby. If you remove both of them(moons and swords), you can up your guppy stock. They basically produce the same result, which is a lot of fry. You should add more catfish too, and up the danios as well. If you're looking for a centerpiece fish you could try German Blue Rams, another variation of ram, or try apistos or kribs. I'd personally go with the Rams myself, but they need an established tank(6-12 months), so you'd have to wait a while to get them.

8. cameronpalte Member Member

Ok, thanks for advice. Now I have a deadly parasite in my tank (why I'm looking for new stock to replace dead) so now were down to 3 platies, 1 swordtail (quarantine), 2-3(not sure)(guppies), 2 (danios) all exhibiting symptoms so I may just need to start over.