Stocking

1. cameronpalte

cameronpalte Member Member

Ratings:
    +5
    Ok, so I have 1 julii leapord catfish, 4 moons, 1 swordtail, and 5 gold long fin zebra danios, 3 guppies in my 55g. Once it's done cycling (I made mistakes and lost ~13 fish and will prob lose more. I was wondering what fish I should add once it's done cycling.

2. pirahnah3

pirahnah3 Fishlore VIP Member

Ratings:
    +37
    It really more depends on what your looking to have in the tank?

I am a bit confused as to what a moon is thou.

Your bio load in the tank currently is not overly large and can accommodate quite a few more fish but it depends on what your really wanting.

3. Wendy Lubianetsky

Wendy Lubianetsky Well Known Member Member

Ratings:
    +11
    I agree it really depends on how many fish survive the cycle and what you want to see in your tank.

4. jerilovesfrogs

jerilovesfrogs Fishlore VIP Member

Ratings:
    +60
    moons are platies. it's some kind of weird, newish name for them. i refuse to call them moons though. haha.

5. pirahnah3

pirahnah3 Fishlore VIP Member

Ratings:
    +37
    Well now that makes sense....yeah not really but I'm with you in gonna call them platies still.

6. bolivianbaby

bolivianbaby Fishlore Legend Member

Ratings:
    +62
    I would add 6 more julie cories,either remove the sword or the moons (to prevent hybrid babies which can be difficult to rehome, sell, or trade to an LFS), and add 5 more danios.

That's just what I would do. Hope this helps.

7. fighter55

fighter55 Member Member

Ratings:
    +2
    +1 bolivianbaby. If you remove both of them(moons and swords), you can up your guppy stock. They basically produce the same result, which is a lot of fry. You should add more catfish too, and up the danios as well. If you're looking for a centerpiece fish you could try German Blue Rams, another variation of ram, or try apistos or kribs. I'd personally go with the Rams myself, but they need an established tank(6-12 months), so you'd have to wait a while to get them.

8. OP
    OP
    cameronpalte

cameronpalte Member Member

Ratings:
    +5
    Ok, thanks for advice. Now I have a deadly parasite in my tank (why I'm looking for new stock to replace dead) so now were down to 3 platies, 1 swordtail (quarantine), 2-3(not sure)(guppies), 2 (danios) all exhibiting symptoms so I may just need to start over.