stocking 20 Gallon Tank

1. allaboutfish Well Known Member Member

ok so all i have right now are 2 gardneri biassa killifish males and a male endler. so give me some suggestions. i really like corys and gouramis and apistos.

2. Awesome Initiate Member

It might be helpful to know
    Ph, and hardness
    how long has the tank been cycled
    temperature
    Tank size
    Tank dimensions
    Is it planted? If so, how much. Heavily, lightly?
    do you add salt to the aquarium

3. pirahnah3 Fishlore VIP Member

If you look at the aquarium info tab most of that is listed there. As well as the thread heading says 20 gal.

Assuming its a 20 high, I would put 5-6 cories in it, you can def do a pair of apistos and then a nice schooling fish. That would make for a very nice tank.

If you want the gourami it just depends on which one you like as to how you stock them.

You could do the endless as a school if you wanted to the fry most likely wouldn't last long without the plants for cover.

4. Awesome Initiate Member

Which at is the one mentioned? Also, 20 gallons isn't very accurate information, to where you can automatically got into recommending species for the tank, as in a 20 gallon high a pair of apistos would readily harass the other fish. And what type of cories? Sme would do great in a 20 high, while others wouldn't best suit the tank

5. allaboutfish Well Known Member Member

this is a long. tank has been cycled for months. its pretty much moderately planted, im waiting for everything to fill in.

6. Awesome Initiate Member

If it is a long I would recommend a mix of maybe
    10 ember tetras
    2 Killies
    5 endlers
    6 Habrosus cories

7. allaboutfish Well Known Member Member

i do not have access to habrosus or pygmy corys

8. allaboutfish Well Known Member Member

i think i want celebes rainbowfish or gertrudae rainbowfish ARU ll for the schoolers

9. allaboutfish Well Known Member Member

i also like neon red laser corys and green-gold corys

10. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

You'll like the rainbows. Them and the corys, killis and endlers would make a full, colorful and active tank.

11. allaboutfish Well Known Member Member

so
    2-killifish
    1-endler
    6-rainbows(of the ones listed)
    6-corys(of the ones listed)
    i kinda wanted some more endlers but if i cant fit anymore i guess i can deal without them.

12. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

You could do a few more endlers I think.

I would get more of one species of rainbow rather than a few of two.

13. allaboutfish Well Known Member Member

im getting 6 of either one not 6 of both

14. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

Oops, I thought you said "and". I think you could get a couple more rainbows.

15. allaboutfish Well Known Member Member

so something like this?
    2-killifish
    3-endlers
    8-rainbows
    6-corys?

16. pirahnah3 Fishlore VIP Member

The only thing on that list that concerns me at all is how big do those killifish get? I know they have a tendency to well get hungry sometimes and smaller fish can disappear, i.e. the endlers.

I like the stock list and might think you could toss another couple endlers in assuming they are all male, if you end up with females you may not have to feed your tank for a bit lol.

As for the cory's I would look towards the smaller varieties if you can, they will appreciate the space. Definitely avoid the emerald cory's as they are not cory's at all technically.

17. Awesome Initiate Member

Another potential mix would be
    3 Dario Darios - 1 male 2 females
    [​IMG]
    Or
    3 sparkling gouramis - 1 male 2 females
    [​IMG]
    And
    10 white cloud mountain minnows
    [​IMG]
    8 kuhli loaches
    [​IMG]
    5-10 cherry shrimp
    [​IMG]
    Or
    1 dwarf orange crayfish
    [​IMG]

All photos from google images under the common name in the search box, exept for the last one, which was found in
    http://www.franksaquarium.com/nanofish.htm

18. allaboutfish Well Known Member Member

these are full grown and have been with my current male since they were juvies. i would guess theyre about 2 inches.
    i really like the darios. what if i did this?
    2-killifish
    3-male endlers
    3-dario darios
    6-rainbows
    do yall think 2 bristlenose plecos would be better than the cories? i could probably fit 6-8 corys in my 55 if i took the brislenoses out. would julii corys be better than those that i listed? they'd be cheaper anyway. i would get pygmys but when my lfs gets them in they dont have enough.

19. Awesome Initiate Member

That looks like a great mix to me! The only thing that concerns me would be adding 2 bristlenoses as they get fairly large and have a high bio load of which I don't think your tank could properly support

20. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

Many killis stay small and are not a threat to other fish.

I would not get the scarlet badis - they are notoriously hard to keep and from what I've researched, require live foods. The chameleon fish (badis badis) would be a little less challenging.

I too would not put 2 BN plecos in. I'm not sure I would even do 1.