stocking

1. PittsburghSarah Member Member

I Have heard and seen on here from some people that it is "wrong" to put 4 fish in a 5 gallon tank.
    I have in that tank 2 longfin danios and 2 small guppies
    do you guys think this is suitable enough for them?they seem to be pretty comfortable.
    What is everyone's Opinion?

2. QQQUUUUAADDD Well Known Member Member

Danios are too active for a 5 gallon. Also they like to be in groups of 5 or more.
    You could rehome the danios and add another guppy but thats it.
    What gender are the guppies?

BTW, Welcome to Fishlore! :;hi2

3. PittsburghSarah Member Member

alrighty thanks! :) i have 1 male and 1 female, the female i unknowingly bought her already pregnant lol

4. QQQUUUUAADDD Well Known Member Member

Expect A LOT of babies! Most of the time when you buy a female platy or guppy, they're already pregnant.

What are you going to do with all the fry?

5. Cichlidnut Fishlore VIP Member

Female guppies are almost ALWAYS pregnant. They can have babies up to 6 months after mating with a male. Is the tank cycled? You've got a pretty high bioload for a small tank. Personally I wouldn't go less than a 20 gallon for the danios, they are super active. They also can be become nippy when stressed and can hurt your guppies.

6. PittsburghSarah Member Member

i hope to rehome them to people that would enjoy them

ive cycled my tank for about a month all the fish seem to be happy

7. QQQUUUUAADDD Well Known Member Member

Just find people that already have a few danios. Danios are happy in groups!

8. PittsburghSarah Member Member

will do! thanks for the advise! :)

9. Cichlidnut Fishlore VIP Member

It's kind of hard to judge fish happiness. I've done 2 male guppies in a 5 gallon with no issue if you keep up on your water changes. A female will have lots of babies. They can fill up tanks pretty fast with offspring.

I'm glad you cycled your tank before adding fish. Good Job!

10. QQQUUUUAADDD Well Known Member Member

It just seems they're happier. Fish can't tell you how they feel. ROFL! It would be funny if they could.

11. PittsburghSarah Member Member

yeah that's why i plan to rehome the fry once they are ready for it to another tank or someone who wants them. i try to do a 25% water change every month with my 22 gallon tank i plan to do the same for the 5 :)

12. QQQUUUUAADDD Well Known Member Member

Ohhhhh! You have a 22. Maybe you could transfer your 2 danios in your 5 gallon to your 22.

13. PittsburghSarah Member Member

yeah i actually was thinking about that! and it would be very funny if fish could tell us how they feel! lol

14. soltarianknight Fishlore VIP Member

Your 22 stock isnt too hot either. Law of schooling fish. Minimum is 5-6 per schooling type, in a 20 you can have 2 schools max.

15. Cichlidnut Fishlore VIP Member

25% a month really isn't enough. Especially for a small tank. 50% a week in your 5 would be a far better idea. I do 50% a week on all of my tanks. Water changes are the only way to get nitrate out.

16. PittsburghSarah Member Member

i have always been told and read up on that 25% a month is good for larger tanks like my 22 is good too much could stress the fish out. and my 22 gallon is slightly overstocked but not too much...

17. LyndaB Fishlore Legend Member

Fish do not get stressed by water changes, unless you haven't done a water change in a year and now they're shocked by the fresh water.

They love fresh water, it puts mine into a spawning frenzy and I see more activity.

I also recommend 50% water changes and agree that your little tank is overstocked. Just because the fish are alive, don't mistake that for them being happy.

What are your readings for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate? Forgive me if they were mentioned above. I didn't see them.

18. PittsburghSarah Member Member

yeah i was referring to the person that said my 22 was overstocked(which it is slightly) i took the danios out of the 5 gallon so only the 2 guppies are in the five gallon now so it's much better. i will post those reading a.s.a.p. :)

ohh and i do water changes via gravel vaccum so i remove my fish from the tank while im doing that so doing weekly water changes would stress my fish

19. LyndaB Fishlore Legend Member

You really don't have to remove your fish to do a water change. In fact, it's more stressful for them to constantly be moved than to just stay in their tank during the cleaning process.

20. Cichlidnut Fishlore VIP Member

I agree, it's really not necessary to remove the fish. Just avoid sucking them up. I constantly have to chase away my Endlers when I'm vacuuming their tank. Silly fish.