Stocking with a betta? 10 Gallon Tank 

e_watson09

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I am having a huge debate with myself about if I want to get something else in the tank or not. So I am going to ask for everyones' opinions. Please do not fight you do not have to agree with everyone I'm just looking for some input.

I keep my tank at 80 degrees. My tank conditions have been consistantly perfect so I'm not concerned about that either, I generally do a 40% water change weekly (sometimes a little more sometimes a little less)

My guy is a all white crowntail betta. The tank has quite a bit of plants and decorations to hide in.

I have some algea growth which I scrub off but I was thinking either getting some otos or a snail. I'm leaning towards a snail but I do love otos they are my favorite and I havn't been able to keep them because my other tanks have big fish that could eat them.

If I get the snail I was debating getting some of the smaller cory cats. But once again its just a thought, I love the cories in my 55 gallon. Once again I'm probably not going to do it I just want to know if it would work.

steve(redlakefalls,mn)

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
i would go with the corys,i have a cory with my betta and they do great to gather,i just added 2 more to my betta tank and sofar so good.best of luck.STEVE.

Nutter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Though I normally say that Bettas should be kept on thier own, you have a pretty good chance of success with either option given that you have quite a bit of experience & I knwo you look after your fish well. I have kept male Bettas with both Otos & Cories in 10gal tanks without any problems at all. Personally I would choose a snail & Otos seeing you already have some Cories in a different tank. Everyone loves variety & I'm quite sure if you run into problems you know enough to remove the other fish before they come to any great harm.

yallyall1

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Pygmy cores would be cool

Both a snail and ottos would also work, but cherry or glass shrimp would be really cool.

e_watson09

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Can anyone throw some numbers out as to how many of each you would get? I know both otos and cories prefer to be in larger groups.

OH and this tank has whatever filter is meant for a 30 gallon tank so I definatly have a bunch of filtration. Its the aqua clear I wana say 30 for 30 gallon but I can't remember the exact number. I do remember just reading the box and it saying 30 on it.

Nutter said:
Though I normally say that Bettas should be kept on thier own, you have a pretty good chance of success with either option given that you have quite a bit of experience & I knwo you look after your fish well. I have kept male Bettas with both Otos & Cories in 10gal tanks without any problems at all. Personally I would choose a snail & Otos seeing you already have some Cories in a different tank. Everyone loves variety & I'm quite sure if you run into problems you know enough to remove the other fish before they come to any great harm.
Yeah plus a have another couple tanks that are understocked so if anything does go wrong they'll get moved. I'll play fishie musical tanks haha. I do already have some cories but they have to be hands down my favorite fish so I'm not too worried about it.

yallyall1 said:
Pygmy cores would be cool

Both a snail and ottos would also work, but cherry or glass shrimp would be really cool.
Do you think I should get both otos AND a snail? I was thinking either or just to ensure whichever would have plenty to eat. I don't have like massive beyond massive algea just enough to annoy. I have algea wafers and the whole shabang, I just want to make sure everyone will be happy. I have thought about cherry shrimp too but then I was worried if I got any too small they would be toast from the betta.

yallyall1

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
sorry, not both

a snail and some RCS would be my choice!

bolivianbaby

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I'll let the other members handle the stocking suggestions. I've never kept anything with my bettas other than snails. I will say that the RCS suggestion above might be a pretty risky stocking. Unless they're full grown adults, the betta could probably eat them.

I've also never kept corys in anything smaller than a 20 gallon.

You mentioned your filter is strong enough for a 30 gallon tank. Don't forget to keep an eye on the flow output. Bettas aren't extremely strong swimmers (as opposed to tetras for example) and IME-too much flow will blow your poor boy around.

My daughter has two betta boys, each in their own 10 gallon tank. We use filters for 10 gallon tanks.

In your situation, I would personally advise a small sponge filter so you have the most filtration without too much water flow.

Hope this helps!

e_watson09

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I put two big silk plants that are a little stronger but still flow right in front of the output so it pushes the current down and along the back of the glass. I thought about that already I didn't have it there at first and he got pushed good so I moved everything around. I too was worried about the cories in less than a 20 as I have never done that before the smallest I've kept them in was a 29 haha.

This is why I was asking I just want to learn more as I have never housed a male betta with anything except a mystery snail.

Nutter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
RCS are not very good with Bettas. Small ones are eaten & the large ones hide all the time for fear of being eaten. You will see a few scattered around but the vast majority of the RCS population would be in hiding most of the time.

Personally I see no reason that a snail could not be kept in the tank with the Otos.

e_watson09

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Nutter said:
RCS are not very good with Bettas. Small ones are eaten & the large ones hide all the time for fear of being eaten. You will see a few scattered around but the vast majority of the RCS population would be in hiding most of the time.

Personally I see no reason that a snail could not be kept in the tank with the Otos.
You don't think the snail might starve? I know I can drop zucini or whatever in and the otos will eat it but I'm concerned since the snail won't really "see" it.

I just want to make sure everything will be happy before I go buy them, I mean if worst comes to worst I can drop the snail in one of my other tanks.

So I'm thinking like 5 otos and a mystery snail?

Nutter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
IME a snail will find zuchini or a lettuce leaf before Otos would. So long as you keept the supply of veggies coming I don't forsee any problems. I would probaby just go with three or four Otos though.

e_watson09

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Okay thanks I'm probably going to add a snail next week if I see an active one that I like when I'm at work. Otos will probably wait atleast a week after just because I want to make sure water conditions continue to be perfect. I worry too much

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom