Stocking with a betta

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by FishTankNewbie, Jul 22, 2015.

1. FishTankNewbie

FishTankNewbieNew MemberMember

I have had my betta PJ in a 5.5 gallon tank for 2 years now, living with 2 peppered cories (I know that's bad but that's not the question). He looks fantastic and he is really cool with other fish, sorta lazy and has never ever tried to do anything to the cories. I was wondering about putting him in my spare 15 gallon with some other fish, and I know they are nervous around a lot of shoals so this is what I was thinking.
    6-8 neon/cardinal tetras
    1 bristlenose pleco
    1 bridgesii snail
    PJ the male betta

I would do some ottos but I think that it's too much as is.

please tell me if this is a viable option, and if not, please leave a suggestion. I would like whatever is best for my non aggressive beta-wouldn't hurt a fly :D

Btw my friend is taking the cories

thank you in advance!!!!

Last edited: Jul 22, 2015
  2. BornThisWayBettas

BornThisWayBettasFishlore VIPMember

My biggest concern would be the betta and the tetras. They might try to nip at his fins, which could either cause him to get stressed, sick, or fin rot. Or, the tetras might nip the betta, and he might get mad, so..... In any case, just keep the backup 5.5g tank on hand and be ready for anything. Other than that, I personally would probably try it if I wanted to keep him in the community tank, although, I would be worried about the bioload of the BN pleco in a 15g tank.

Here's this thread on bettas and tankmates: https://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/betta-fish/197046-betta-tankmates.html I personally am a supporter of it. :)

3. Dom90

Dom90Fishlore VIPMember

All those fish in a 15 gallon would make it overstocked and overcrowded. The BN pleco has a big bioload, the betta is likely to act aggressively in such a small space.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

4. Nympxzie

NympxzieValued MemberMember

+1 BN pleco will get too large and will need a 30 gallon tank

My personal opinion is that neons should not be housed with a betta because of nipping/aggression and the fact that 75 degrees is the warmest temp a neon should be in and 75 is the coolest a betta should be in. One of the fish will be fairly uncomfortable imo.

I would bring your peppered cory school up to 6 and add some snails.

5. BornThisWayBettas

Wikipedia says that cardinal tetras will be okay in the temp that bettas like, basically.

6. Dom90

Dom90Fishlore VIPMember

I'll take the word of Seriously Fish over Wikipedia thanks :p

7. BornThisWayBettas

I can't get on the fish profiles at Seriously Fish, my computer doesn't like it and shows a white screen covered in a bunch of different numbers and symbols, so one of my best sources is Wikipedia.

8. Dom90

Dom90Fishlore VIPMember

Try FishBase another good fish info site

9. Gvilleguy

GvilleguyValued MemberMember

From my own experience, and from reading the experiences of others, moving a betta into a community tank is hit or miss. Just depends on the personality of the betta. I had a betta that lived happily in a 6.6 gallon on his own, and I made the mistake of moving him into my community tank. He hated it and did not do well at all. So I agree with BTWB regarding keeping the old tank running in case you need to move him back.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice