Stocking Too Much

Kvandy

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Does anybody think I can get away with adding a few swordtails to this set up
55 gallon .planted grow out tank. Topfin filter that came with it in the starter kit and a large sponge filter. Currently stocked with
1 electric blue acara 3.5 inch
1 convict 3 inch
1 firemouth 2.5 inch
6 zebra danios
15 neon tetra
No aggression issues.Tanks been working fine with this combo for months. I do water changes 2-3 time a week because the python makes it so easy .

Rainy day

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
You have quite a few stocking issues if you'd like to hear them. One I'll absolutely have to say though is you need to get rid of the convict cichlid. It'll start destroying everything in your tank once it gets larger.

Once you do sort your stocking issues out, I don't see why not.

OP
K

Kvandy

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
It’s a grow out tank,so what these fish will hypothetically do when they are older doesn’t matter.

86 ssinit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Number wise yeah you could add some swordtails. I would say the first 3 are ready for there next tank and not complaining but shocked they haven’t eatin the neons. Did you get them all at the same time?

OP
K

Kvandy

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Nope they don’t pay any attention to the neons . They were all added at different times. I'm Going to wait until they are a little bigger before I move them because they will be going in with some heavy hitters. This grow out tank is in my dining room where everybody see’s it which is why I started adding fish like zebra danio and neon tetras. Fish shop have some amazing swordtails right now that are the biggest I’ve ever seen. That’s why I was thinking about adding them. Maybe 1 male and 2-3 females

New Threads