1 Gallon Tank Stocking/tips For No Filter 1 Gallon Planted

magnusjones

Reaction score
Hi all,
I'm finally putting my 1 gallon rimless cube to use. I'm using 1 inch of dirt with osmocote, called with 1 inch of black sand. I have some red stem plants in the back and I plan to put in some carpeting plants. Any recommendations on carpet plants, co2, or possible stocking?

Thanks, Magnus
1568338745940.jpg

Mickiemas

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years

PascalKrypt

Well Known Member
Reaction score
CO2 in that small a tank seems a bit overkill. There is a massive surface area compared to volume anyway. I would actually look into getting something that could grow half-emersed, that might be nice. Which most aquarium plants can, I even grow some of the above mentioned hairgrass with the tips sticking out of the water.. I think the water height is about 4 inches in that tank.

You could put some shrimp in there, I think that is about it.

Tbox

Reaction score
Hi all,
I'm finally putting my 1 gallon rimless cube to use. I'm using 1 inch of dirt with osmocote, called with 1 inch of black sand. I have some red stem plants in the back and I plan to put in some carpeting plants. Any recommendations on carpet plants, co2, or possible stocking?

Thanks, MagnusView attachment 587401
How long has it been set up? The water can't be stagnant. You'll need at least a small sponge filter. A betta or shrimp would be good in there. A 1gal is limited for stocking. I wouldn't put shrimp in there for 6months or so, after it's well established.

Salem

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
How long has it been set up? The water can't be stagnant. You'll need at least a small sponge filter. A betta or shrimp would be good in there. A 1gal is limited for stocking. I wouldn't put shrimp in there for 6months or so, after it's well established.
A betta needs an absolute minimum of 2.5 gallons but generally will need 5- this tank is much too small for basically anything other than shrimp or maybe some pest snails.

Tbox

Reaction score
A betta needs an absolute minimum of 2.5 gallons but generally will need 5- this tank is much too small for basically anything other than shrimp or maybe some pest snails.
Well, that's quite a dilemma then. Maybe the betta trade needs to be reformed? Think about all the stores out there, and all the bettas sitting in Dixie cups.
A well cared for 1gal seems far better than living like veal. Ideally, yes, a greater volume of water would be preferred with adequate filtration.

magnusjones

Reaction score
Well, that's quite a dilemma then. Maybe the betta trade needs to be reformed? Think about all the stores out there, and all the bettas sitting in Dixie cups.
A well cared for 1gal seems far better than living like veal. Ideally, yes, a greater volume of water would be preferred with adequate filtration.
Why can't the water be stagnant? I was planning on a no filter, all natural, ecosystem tank. Could I even do 1 or 2 cpds and some RCS? I need some source of nitrogen.
1568433487865.jpg

Salem

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Bettas will become stunted in anything less than a 2.5 gallon tank, they are sold in cups and are marketed as able to live in tiny tanks because during the dry seasons in the wild they can survive in puddles. They are marketed towards children as toys- pet stores do not care about their well being. Yes a 1 gallon is better than a cup but it is like saying living in a bathroom is better than living in just the bath tub.

Assuming you are refering to celestial pearl danios- they need a minimum of 10 gallons and to be kept in groups of at least 6 because they are schooling fish. They become very stressed, unhappy, and sick when kept in lower numbers. You really can only keep cherry shrimp in there as theyre the only thing able to comfortably live in a single gallon.

While it is possible to do a no filter tank it will take a very long time to get going and a lot of monitoring. You will likely need a heater to keep the temperature stable though.

magnusjones

Reaction score
Bettas will become stunted in anything less than a 2.5 gallon tank, they are sold in cups and are marketed as able to live in tiny tanks because during the dry seasons in the wild they can survive in puddles. They are marketed towards children as toys- pet stores do not care about their well being. Yes a 1 gallon is better than a cup but it is like saying living in a bathroom is better than living in just the bath tub.

Assuming you are refering to celestial pearl danios- they need a minimum of 10 gallons and to be kept in groups of at least 6 because they are schooling fish. They become very stressed, unhappy, and sick when kept in lower numbers. You really can only keep cherry shrimp in there as theyre the only thing able to comfortably live in a single gallon.

While it is possible to do a no filter tank it will take a very long time to get going and a lot of monitoring. You will likely need a heater to keep the temperature stable though.
Yes, I wouldn't ever consider putting a Betta in there. Last one I had lived in a 2.5 gal until I felt bad and moved him to a 20. So basically what you're saying is that I need a filter and heater for this to be successful. I mostly planned to get shrimp and luckily, I live near one of the highest level shrimp breeders in the world.

Tbox

Reaction score
Yes, I wouldn't ever consider putting a Betta in there. Last one I had lived in a 2.5 gal until I felt bad and moved him to a 20. So basically what you're saying is that I need a filter and heater for this to be successful. I mostly planned to get shrimp and luckily, I live near one of the highest level shrimp breeders in the world.
No heater is necessary if your ambient temp is around 70-72. Mix in some low tech plants, light, and a small sponge filter and Neos and Caridina shrimp will do well.

magnusjones

Reaction score
No heater is necessary if your ambient temp is around 70-72. Mix in some low tech plants, light, and a small sponge filter and Neos and Caridina shrimp will do well.
How small of sponge filters do they sell? I want a filter that is as low profile and least noticable as possible. I have seen tiny HOB filters before.

Tbox

Reaction score
How small of sponge filters do they sell? I want a filter that is as low profile and least noticable as possible. I have seen tiny HOB filters before.
If you'd rather do a tiny HOB, that'd be just as good. Be sure to put a sponge over the intake pipe to prevent the shrimp from being sucked up.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom